No announcement yet.

Strange Finds in the Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently found one of these in the woods where I hunt in Angelina County. None of the old timers on the club even knew it was there. Some have been a member in the club for over 40 years.

Comment

Small game hunting in PA when we were kids and my buddy found a like new Ruger 10/22,

A friend of mine now said when he was like 15 came out of his house in Chicago and found a briefcase in his front yard, it had $10,000 cash a gun and a few ounces of coke. he got to keep the cash and gun and his dad took the coke and sold it. What a family.
      Last edited by Bassdeer; 10-27-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
        The pool at Granger is pretty interesting. I keep waiting to find a hog stuck in it, but no luck yet.
        Have not seen that? What’s the story?

Comment

At Gus Engeling over the weekend, driving around in unit 15, there are some trash pits off of a mulch road. The pits are constructed like a log cabin, but too new to be historic, so i asked the biologist about them. Apparently they were lined with rubber and used as water storage to pressurize hoses that ran all over the hillside. The areas the hoses ran to had lots of trees cut down around 6” off the ground, but enough trees were left to leave a good amount of cover overhead. There are several pits and at least a few acres of cut down trees. The biologist said a hunter stumbled across the whole thing a few years ago and it was all set up to grow marijuana. Luckily the operation was shut down when the hunter found it, but I heard they never caught the guilty party…

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            https://www.thehistorycenteronline.c...pineywoods/721

I recently found one of these in the woods where I hunt in Angelina County. None of the old timers on the club even knew it was there. Some have been a member in the club for over 40 years.
            Funny you mention that, I found a dipping vat at work today in Conroe while poking around in the woods. Right in the middle of town in a block of woods.There is an old chimney nearby too. Don't know how old it is but there's a 18" DBH oak growing inside of where the house would have been. Only homeless camps in those woods now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              Have not seen that? What’s the story?
              When they built the Granger Lake Dam, there were a lot of local people who were displaced. The area south of Gate 6 had quite a few homes back in there. You can still see the trees lining what used to be roads, there's culverts with washed out bridges and areas where houses once stood. That metal shack I shared the picture of is the only standing building still there, and even that one is mostly collapsed.

That pool is in a larger area where there used to be multiple buildings. It looks like it was all mobile homes by looking at the size of the pads, but I'm not certain about that. There's also a few things that look like some sort of storm drain entries or capped wells.

As cool as that area is, I've never seen any sign of hog over there.
              Last edited by Lost10mm; 10-27-2022, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Hunting near Frio Town TX on private lane, we found an old Texas Ranger's Camp (not the MLB team haha). Major John B Jones Commander of the Frontier Battalion was there in 1876 protecting the city from the Comanches. We found a few things there. Same property we found lead musket balls. We also found trail markings dated 1714 (l Camino Real de los Tejas, or "The royal road of the Tejas)

Comment

Many years ago when I was assigned at the Pentagon (4-yr sentence but got a year off) I hunted Quantico MCB. Was scouting one day and came across an old homesite in the middle of the woods on top of a ridge. Next time I went down I took my metal detector. Only thing I found was the metal hinges and fittings off a casket--gave me the willies so I put 'em back in the ground and covered them up.

Comment

Under an old deer blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
                      When they built the Granger Lake Dam, there were a lot of local people who were displaced. The area south of Gate 6 had quite a few homes back in there. You can still see the trees lining what used to be roads, there's culverts with washed out bridges and areas where houses once stood. That metal shack I shared the picture of is the only standing building still there, and even that one is mostly collapsed.

That pool is in a larger area where there used to be multiple buildings. It looks like it was all mobile homes by looking at the size of the pads, but I'm not certain about that. There's also a few things that look like some sort of storm drain entries or capped wells.

As cool as that area is, I've never seen any sign of hog over there.
                      That is really cool! I would be out there with a metal detector

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post

Under an old deer blind.

Story time

Comment

Dang

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                            Our ranch has a collapsed stone one room house with a tin roof built into a hillside. It's in thick trees and you'd never know it was there unless you stumbled upon it.

Is this in Blanco

Comment

I found a rabbit making shadows of people on a tree.

Comment

Found this on the banks of trinity bay. Indian burial site.

Comment

Working...
                                X