No announcement yet.

Any Tower Climbers Here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do have to say we have the best office view in the world.

Comment

I had to install some louvers I had built 70' up in the bucket of a skytrak. It wasn't the height that got me but the swaying.

Comment

Whew!!! I think I cracked the screen on my iPhone trying to hold on while watching that video.
        Makes me appreciate those little antennas
        now.

Comment

They just couldn't pay me enough.. Really

Comment

I have the same problem BigIron. The air traffic control tower I worked at on barksdale afb was about 120ft tall. It would sway when it was windy, radar hung from a beam in the ceiling and would start swaying. Made me nauseas. Had to evacuate when winds got to 60kts which was a couple of times. Gotta give credit to these guys cause no way im going that high.

Comment

In my younger days I worked off of 175' scaffolds tied to one distillation tower and pancaking the reflux line on the tower next to it. The towers swayed enough that you would wrench whenever they came together and then wait for them to come back together to wrench some more.

Now days I have peoblems on a 26' extension ladder.

Comment

I watched a guy climb the tower we have on our lease back in November. I believe the tower is about 500 feet. Took him about 30 minutes to get to the top. Lot of respect for you guys that do that.

Comment

In my younger days I roughnecked as a derekman, Rigs jump and sway and squirm when drilling, can be unnerving with 50-70 mph winds. Working on high steel when there's snow and ice on it will test your resolve to the job too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuoms View Post
                    This may be the video y'all are talking about. Hats off to ya brotha!

Tower Climbing---Not Me Buddy - YouTube
                    That made my azz puckered up several times! No freakin way!!!! Lol

Comment

OHHHHHH BUT NO! Just looking at the pics and watching A LITTLE BIT of the video my feet and hands started tingling and now my feet are sweating like CRAZY! NOT HAPPENING!

Comment

Nope to many jobs left down here on earth. You only get one oops up there and I need a lot more than that.

Comment

I hope you have good life insurance!

One of our fire departments conducted a cell tower rescue a couple of months back.
                          The maintenance worker was suffering from heat exhaustion on one of the platforms around 750ft up.

NOOOOOOO THANKKKK YOUUUUUU!!!

Comment

A friend of mine does this. He has some crazy stories.
                            He said he had to climb up an 1,800' tower with a broke elevator!

Comment

The words "broke" "climb" and especially "1800 ft" are three words I hope I never have to hear on my job site! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dropsalot View Post
                                I have been a climber for years but Ive never asked the question on this site. How many of you do the same thing I do ?
                                Have spent many hours up a tower or 3... worst mistake I ever made was one particular day thinking "meh....I'll just wear plain ol tenni-shoes today, it'll be fine."

Comment

Working...
                                X