felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
    Really???Disneyland ....... It's far from that.
    I worked every day or darn near. It is a horrible place as it should be. Disney is isn't.

Comment

I'm a convicted felon(dwi back in 96) while I was on parole went backdeer n forth with parole officers n superiors bout bowhunting n was told that statute was changed from "may not possess firearm" to "may not possess weapon"which really could mean anything.my lawyer informed me that is not the case,called my po and I was allowed to bowhunt. Got off parole 2008 bought crossbow n now hunt with it n my Bear anarchy.I love bein up close to wildlife and it is so exciting to be able to watch (and sometimes shoot ) deer ,completely unoticed by them and I much prefer it to gun hunting.However,was on a friends property picking up some hay n while I was there saw the largest buck I've ever seen crotch for on tv or in mags.The deer n another were chasing the same doe .the smaller one got run off and as the doe stood ther the buck was still for plenty of time to get a shot had I a rifle. (They were bout 135 yds out.love to have rifle for such occasions and have s. ent Uncle Ted an e-mail asking for advice n help in getting pardon or expunged.(he got a lil pull with Rick Perry.)

Comment

My opinion is that the punishment should fit the crime. An 18 year old kid caught with a bag of MJ is a whole lot different than a guy who robs a 7/11, and their punishment should not be the same. There is no logical reason, in my opinion, that the 18 year old kid should be banned from hunting with centerfire arms if he has paid his dues and has been in no further trouble. He basically posed no threat to the public any greater than the thousands of people who go out and get drunk every friday night. Just does not seem right to me that, no matter what he does, he can never completely pay his debt to society and be totally free again.

Wayne

Comment

It's really sad how some "Christians" will hunt and peck the Holy Bible to find a passage to justify their position but ignore (and omit) other passages that contradict their position. One of the Bible's PRIMARY messages is FORGIVENESS and REDEMPTION!! One of Jesus' loved criminals and showed them his love and the path to forgiveness and shared his last moments with two of them. It's to bad that 2000 years later His message has been so twisted that it allows people to be so UNforgiving. I wonder- since Jesus was convicted of a capital crime, would these same people deny Him the right to vote or own a gun?

Don't forget that this habit of looking for Bible passages to justify things, without looking for the overall message, is what led to the crusades, the inquisition and many other terrible acts of mass murder in the name of God. The Bible is full of contradictions and if we followed it verbatim, we would still be stoning people to death - like women for adultery.

It really saddens me to hear other Christians take such a blanket hard line against a whole group of people. I'm a big supporter of the death penalty (in spite of the problems with it), so I'm no 'softy' but I do not lump ALL felons into one big group - I judge them individually based on a variety of criteria. I think the government ought to do the same and provide an avenue for a case by case judgement on issues like voting and gun ownership. There is a clear difference between a kid that steals a car or gets caught up in drugs and a murderer or child molester. To me, it's neither "right" OR Christian to subject all of them to the same punishment. Just as the courts serve up sentences commensurate with the crime, the punishment following the sentence should be commensurate with the crime.

If having made a bad decision was a reason to deny people the vote or own a firearm, NONE of us would be able to do either. Heck, after 2008, more than half the country should be denied the vote! Lol!

Just sayin my $00.02

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
            My opinion is that the punishment should fit the crime. An 18 year old kid caught with a bag of MJ is a whole lot different than a guy who robs a 7/11, and their punishment should not be the same. There is no logical reason, in my opinion, that the 18 year old kid should be banned from hunting with centerfire arms if he has paid his dues and has been in no further trouble. He basically posed no threat to the public any greater than the thousands of people who go out and get drunk every friday night. Just does not seem right to me that, no matter what he does, he can never completely pay his debt to society and be totally free again.

Wayne
            18 year old kids don't get banned from using centerfire rifles for a bag of marijuana- unless it's a REALLY big bag (over 4 ounces- which means dealing- not using).

Comment

Seems to me that the problem is these laws and punishments that accompany said laws for not abbiding by them were written long ago... Neither the law nor the people that wrote them were perfect or all knowing... the no gun after a felony Conviction part you could reason should be imposed in some case and not others therefore a judge could decide if that part of the punishment should be emposed or not just like he decides that some people get more time than others... The no vote part in my opinion should be done away with completely if it hasn't already once a person has been released from prison... just my .02

Comment

Instead of contacting defense attorneys, who make money off you, and forums, check with your local district attorney. If you are wanting to ensure you don't get arrested or charged with an offense they can tell you if they could prosecute or not. You don't have to start the conversation with I'm a local felon who would like to have a gun.

I would definitely ask about the muzzleloaders. Texas penal code's definition only makes the exception for an antique firearm manufactured prior to 1899 or a replica or curio of an Antique firearm manufactured before 1899 as long as its not rim or centerfire. Not that it doesn't happen but I have never seen any one hunt with an 1899 ML replica.

The bows, crossbow or not, should be a non-issue. It does not come close to meeting the definition of a firearm.

Be safe, know the law, and dont get put in prison over something, and this is hard to say as a gun nut, that you can live without. It is hard to fight for your 2nd amendment right if you are in prison.

As a disclaimer. I'm not a felon. I have never even been arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  18 year old kids don't get banned from using centerfire rifles for a bag of marijuana- unless it's a REALLY big bag (over 4 ounces- which means dealing- not using).
                  Yep. We arrested a guy a couple of weeks ago with 10 quarter ounce baggies of marijuana and I am fairly certain it wasn't for personal use. It was a Class A misdemeanor and if it was a couple of less bags and it would have been a B misdemeanor or barely over a traffic citation.

I have heard that argument that a kid getting caught with marijuana can get the same as a person committing an armed robbery and it isn't fair. To qualify for 99 years (the same as aggravated robbery) by possession of marijuana you would need to possess more than 2,000 pounds. I don't think the kid walking down the street with marijuana is carrying a ton of it with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyotekiller View Post
                    Instead of contacting defense attorneys, who make money off you, and forums, check with your local district attorney. If you are wanting to ensure you don't get arrested or charged with an offense they can tell you if they could prosecute or not. You don't have to start the conversation with I'm a local felon who would like to have a gun.

Problem with this is he would have to check with every district attorney whose jurisdiction he will occupy. I can tell you first hand Collin County will prosecute for things Dallas County will not. Would also have to check with the Feds.

I would definitely ask about the muzzleloaders. Texas penal code's definition only makes the exception for an antique firearm manufactured prior to 1899 or a replica or curio of an Antique firearm manufactured before 1899 as long as its not rim or centerfire. Not that it doesn't happen but I have never seen any one hunt with an 1899 ML replica.

The bows, crossbow or not, should be a non-issue. It does not come close to meeting the definition of a firearm.

Be safe, know the law, and dont get put in prison over something, and this is hard to say as a gun nut, that you can live without. It is hard to fight for your 2nd amendment right if you are in prison.

As a disclaimer. I'm not a felon. I have never even been arrested.
                    Just to make sure all bases are covered.

Comment

I don't see any problem with that. What's a few phone calls to keep you out of prison. However the question to ask is "could" they prosecute rather than would they prosecute.

That should cover any county. It's not like we have a screwed up justice system!!!! (typed with sarcasm intended)

Comment

For some crazy reason if I ever became a felon I would be blasting some ducks with a black powder double. Id probably have a real nice scope mounted on a blackpowder rifle also.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                          Really???Disneyland ....... It's far from that.
                          I was of course exaggerating a bit I believe that the prisons should only provide the bare minimum . But once you've done your time you have paid for your crime(s) and your rights should be restored. Hopefully learning to make better decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                            For some crazy reason if I ever became a felon I would be blasting some ducks with a black powder double. Id probably have a real nice scope mounted on a blackpowder rifle also.
                            Sounds like what I do!

Comment

Luckily I don't put myself at risk for a felony anymore, past that point in life. Definitely got through it by being smart, and by the grace of god. I'm sure there are a whole lot of us on here whether they will admit it or not could have easily been in the blackpowder club.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                                Only treelimb and innertube are allowed! surgical tubing "WristRocket" type are highly illegal! LOL!
                                As it should be, those things are deadly.

Comment

Working...
                                X