No announcement yet.

Monster buck...but it makes me sad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has a choice... I prefer low fence natural genetics, shot a 162.5/8 last year. Don't get me wrong if anyone wants to buy a deer like that for I will shoot it, but until that happens I will just take my chances with the genetics on my lease.

Comment

It's called inbreeding.

Comment

I know a man that helps out at a deer farm. He says the deer are pumped full of steroids and all that trash is from making small nicks in the velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
          Messing with genetics and altering them to accomplish deer like this is wrong IMO.

I would further comment on this but there's no need in ruffling feathers...
          Amen Brother

Comment

agree, depressing

Comment

Originally posted by illinibowhunter View Post
              I know a man that helps out at a deer farm. He says the deer are pumped full of steroids and all that trash is from making small nicks in the velvet.
              I have never heard of a deer actually being on steroids. Has anyone else?

Comment

Ha ha ha....the OLDEST one in the book. No way, no how. To know anything about the deer business is to know that breeders HATE putting hands on the deer. Every time you touch them they run the risk of ending up dead.

The story originates with bird hunters across the pond shooting Red Stags in velvet with birdshot in hopes it would create funky antlers.

Comment

Free range freak is a different thing al together. Caged mutant is what he is, sad.

Comment

I dont like it, I'm more of a Typical 8 kinda guy.. but I would drop him where he stands if given the chance.

My Uncle raises deer and has some massive bucks at his place, two years ago he had the Biggest Three Year Old in Texas.

Comment

I am pretty sure the bucks Rob posted are not huntable because they live on or near protected habitat. No protien, no supplemental feeding or anything along those lines. just mature native texas deer.
                      That is correct!

4 miles x 4 miles with a natural spring fed river bottom lined with pecan trees, oaks and mountain juniper (Hill Country cedar). Acreage....habitat.....clear and cool water shaded by huge pecans = nothing but what the Texas Hills within their habitat provides. No hunting, no pressure, grow old till they drop dead of natural causes = Texas Hill Country genetics allowed to do what they have done for thousands of years. Whats surprising to some.....the genetics are there...sure some of the old mature bucks don't sport quality bone but the few that do...do so with respect.

This is just one of many scenes I follow as the years roll on. I study them and learn....I've learned a lot and it's amazing to me to see what they eat to get here. Fungus on Oak trees....knock a big old branch full of that funny growth stuff and watch what NATURAL whitetail do...they fight over the nibblings LOL!

Days, weeks and months have been spent studying this habitat and my photos of these guys basically tell the real story...without HUMAN involvement...they will grow. If this place was hunted....less than 3 or 4 seasons....it would look the same as everywhere else. My thought.....don't hunt them for a few years and just let it go...hard to do but here's what you get...if the habitat has what they need.....it doesn't cost a time to get here.

Hunting bones....kind of funny in a way to me but...I've been there too. Guess I'm getting old and my joy is taking a different turn...going a different direction...to get these shots I'm hunting hard. Lord knows how much of my life is tied up into a few pixels. Had I had the green light to hunt them....I know I simply couldn't do it because...this place is special and special places are so far between now.

For those who have asked me where....it's my special place and I'm keeping it safe and free. As mentioned....HUMANS can ruin a place like this....not on my watch.

Comment

incredible buck!

Comment

Same opinion as the rest.... lame.

Comment

Steroids help with muscle development. Not bone development. Antlers are bones. Even if deer are pumped full of steroids (which they most likely aren't), it would have very little affect on their antlers.

Comment

When research creates a whitetail that grosses more than the world record Elk it has gone far beyond research. Breeding for antler growth like that is .........

Comment

Someone needs to call a vet, that deer is sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X