Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeeter View Post
    Is there a difference though.......?

Glad you were a big enough man to be with in 10 yards of a hog. You wouldn't believe it if I told you but I know some people that jump on their back and stab them..... oh my hahahahaha Just being a smart A bud

A bear is a bear is a bear..... maybe this guy had kids or something
    look at above pic...

we used to hunt black bear in northern michigan (WITH BOWS/stalking). that was a bear my cousin shot because its the only one I can find at work.

No need to be a smart butt with me about being a "tough guy"...

Not saying I am or I aint. I was simply saying a hog is more of a danger than a YOUNG 100 lb black bear. matter of fact. THE ONLY black bear that is real threat to a human is one with cubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
      Agreed on this...we Dont know the truth..Heck a Wild House cat can do some damage on a 225lb man (Dont ask me how I know)
      Probably the same way I know

Comment

From Kerrville Daily Times:
        Man says he killed black bear in defense

By Melissa Boughton, Times Staff Writer melissa.boughton@dailytimes.com | Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Kerr County man killed a Mexican black bear Wednesday morning after reportedly fearing for his dog's and his safety while on a walk on his property.

JA Whittenburg V said he was walking his dogs on his property off of Elm Water Hole on the Y.O. Ranchlands around 7:20 a.m. when he saw a bear come out from the brush near his well house.
        You must be logged in with the proper services to print this article.

He said he thought it was a pig at first until his Jack Russell terriers made eye contact with the bear.

"Before I knew it, I was between my Jack Russells and the bear," he said. "I had about three seconds to react."

Whittenburg, who said he usually carries a gun while out on his property, had to shoot the bear after it came after him and his dogs.

He said the bear was already on top of his dogs when he shot it and was about 20 feet away from him.

"It was just one of those situations, I just had to react," he said. "After my dog made eye contact with (the bear), I knew it was either me or my dog or the bear."

An avid hunter, Whittenburg said the situation was frightening, but he's "been in some pretty close encounters before."

"I was definitely shocked and rattled," he said. "I was more surprised than anything."

Whittenburg notified Texas Parks and Wildlife, which quickly responded with the Kerr County game warden, he said.

He said the bear is believed to be a Mexican black bear and was about 5 to 6 feet tall and around 140 to 160 pounds.

"This was a pretty good size (bear)," he said.

There apparently have been several recent bear sighting in the area, and authorities believe the bears might be expanding their territory due to the drought. Whittenburg said he and his dogs were unharmed.

Personally, I don't see how that bear is 140-160 lbs or 5'6" tall based off the pics, but I wasn't there and pics can be deceiving.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss1980 View Post
          From Kerrville Daily Times:
          Man says he killed black bear in defense

By Melissa Boughton, Times Staff Writer melissa.boughton@dailytimes.com | Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Kerr County man killed a Mexican black bear Wednesday morning after reportedly fearing for his dog's and his safety while on a walk on his property.

JA Whittenburg V said he was walking his dogs on his property off of Elm Water Hole on the Y.O. Ranchlands around 7:20 a.m. when he saw a bear come out from the brush near his well house.
          You must be logged in with the proper services to print this article.

He said he thought it was a pig at first until his Jack Russell terriers made eye contact with the bear.

"Before I knew it, I was between my Jack Russells and the bear," he said. "I had about three seconds to react."

Whittenburg, who said he usually carries a gun while out on his property, had to shoot the bear after it came after him and his dogs.

He said the bear was already on top of his dogs when he shot it and was about 20 feet away from him.

"It was just one of those situations, I just had to react," he said. "After my dog made eye contact with (the bear), I knew it was either me or my dog or the bear."An avid hunter, Whittenburg said the situation was frightening, but he's "been in some pretty close encounters before."

"I was definitely shocked and rattled," he said. "I was more surprised than anything."

Whittenburg notified Texas Parks and Wildlife, which quickly responded with the Kerr County game warden, he said.

He said the bear is believed to be a Mexican black bear and was about 5 to 6 feet tall and around 140 to 160 pounds.

"This was a pretty good size (bear)," he said.

There apparently have been several recent bear sighting in the area, and authorities believe the bears might be expanding their territory due to the drought. Whittenburg said he and his dogs were unharmed.

http://dailytimes.com/news/article_c...html?success=1
          sorry.. I call bullpucky.
          Can't be proven either way now..but I will call him a liar if what is being quoted is true.
          just my opinion.

Comment

article in today's Austin Statesman about a bear reported in Mountain Home......my guess is said bear in now dead. either way, too bad considering how rare they are in Texas.

hopefully i can get this link to work correctly....

http://www.statesman.com/sports/outd...s-1724014.html

Comment

Here it is boys and its a MAN EATER!!!!!

Realy id be more scared of a 100 pound boar then this bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	24007251

Comment

Truck beds are 5' or 6' across. Even if it is a 6' bed that bear is a lot closer to 3'6" than 5'6"

And I am sure those dogs went straight to barking at the bear and scared it to death.......

Comment

That's a shame. They have been talking about the bears migrating out of Southwest Texas and Mexico and headed North looking for water and food do to the drought. People tend to do harsh things when approached by something out of the ordinary. I know a lot of people who react way to quick! I’m sure this is one of those instances.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    Truck beds are 5' or 6' across. Even if it is a 6' bed that bear is a lot closer to 3'6" than 5'6"

And I am sure those dogs went straight to barking at the bear and scared it to death.......
                    Hey that guy did have a Yeti...Maybe the Bear saw the commercial and wanted to prove it wasnt Bear Proof....Just a Thought

Comment

Originally posted by HandiKap Bowhunter View Post
                      Realy id be more scared of a 100 pound boar then this bear.

[ATTACH]258712[/ATTACH]
                      Sorry meant to Post this Pic...See the Yeti

Comment

And to think we have some folks that need to have a gun on them any time they enter the woods because a hog might be there....come on the guy felt threatened, that's enough for me....he did the right thing for his safety...

Comment

I own a Jack Russel and don't doubt for a minute that if we were to walk up on a Bear, He would jump on it. Jack Russels are nuts. He most likely shot the Bear to save his dog.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post

I agree, it's a much shorter bear than 6'. Just a baby. Something aint right here, there is more to the story... but we'll never know

ha the Yeti pictured in the background is classic Product Marketing anyone?!

Comment

It is interesting how people can make so many assumptions based on a newspaper article.

Comment

I will have to go with being against the man with the available information. Everything in the story and unless I read it wrong the man himself saying, the bear was just headed for water. Get away from the water and he won't be coming toward you. With more details I may change my mind, but for now, I say prosecute him.

Comment

Working...
                                X