• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOWMAN1836 View Post
    Thanks and i went to Tandy and got the antiquing gel. Works awesome. Thanks
    Are you using super sheen also?

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
      Tubby and rtread, if y'all want to build without using kits then this is a great book to get you started. It's all about leather crafting for the cowboy shooting sports. Holsters, sheaths, cartridge belts, shell holder and more. Easy step by step instructions to start from scratch with basic tools. I know you'll love it Tubby.
      It's YeeHaw Gun leather and Accessories for the cowboy action shooter. By Jim Simmons. See if you can find it.

[ATTACH]250126[/ATTACH]
      I've been searching for this book (to buy) with no luck. I did find out that Jim Simmons is out in Rotan but I can't find an email or website for him. I found a pdf file for making the Cowboy Holster....which I downloaded and will use it.

I sure would like to find the YeeHaa! book for sale....anybody else have any leads?

Comment

Originally posted by rtread View Post
        I've been searching for this book (to buy) with no luck. I did find out that Jim Simmons is out in Rotan but I can't find an email or website for him. I found a pdf file for making the Cowboy Holster....which I downloaded and will use it.

I sure would like to find the YeeHaa! book for sale....anybody else have any leads?
        Let me check with my old supplier, Hide Crafters. They've moved and are only doing mail order now, I think. If I can't find you a copy then you can borrow mine.

Comment

Finished these today.
          Beautiful, Bowman.
          You obviously don't need any of my advice, you got it bro.

But, I will give you another little trick that I neglected to mention when we pm'ed earlier. If you stain your leather and are planning on using the antique stain on top of it, but don't want the first stain to change colors because of the antique, then put a coat or two of the Leather Sheen on before applying the antique. Make sure to allow the Leather Sheen to dry before using the antique stain. This will darken the groves and impressions without darkening the rest of the leather too much. It will still darken the leather some, just not as much. Then after you have wiped off the excess and let it dry, you can put a couple of coats of your sealer on top. Experiment with it some on some scrap pieces.

Again, beautiful job.
          Last edited by Geezy Rider; 07-10-2011, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
            Are you using super sheen also?
            I did on these. Nice and shinny

Comment

Originally posted by rtread View Post

Ok rtread and tubby, I'm not sure if the contact information is still good for Hidecrafters but their website is still up so give them a try.

They also have alot of DVD's and books for just about anything concerning leather. Look for anything by Simmons or George West. Both are top notch.

I'm going call Hidecrafters tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks allaround I'm going to try that trick next.

Comment

That looks like a good website, allaround. I'll be ordering a copy. Thanks for the headsup!

Comment

Thanks Allaround! Got the book and still shopping.

Comment

I think I'm going to get that book also. And some of your leather sheen. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Ya'll have some mad leather skills.

Comment

Thanks Allaround! Got the book and still shopping.
                          I knew you would enjoy it.

Comment

Well, I got a knife sheath made. First one I've ever attempted. I think it came out pretty good. Even has just the right amount of tightness to it without the use of a strap and button.

The leather I was working with had a brand on it. I decided it would add some character to the sheath, so that's the section I used. This is a Gerber knife I got from a close family friend when I graduated high school and it's sheath had the stitching cut in it from not having a protector in it.

Still managed to have a few novice mistakes but you always learn better from your mistakes!

Comment

Well, I got a knife sheath made. First one I've ever attempted. I think it came out pretty good. Even has just the right amount of tightness to it without the use of a strap and button.

The leather I was working with had a brand on it. I decided it would add some character to the sheath, so that's the section I used. This is a Gerber knife I got from a close family friend when I graduated high school and it's sheath had the stitching cut in it from not having a protector in it.

Still managed to have a few novice mistakes but you always learn better from your mistakes!

That turned out nice. Did u use neetsfoot oil on this one and what sealer ?

Comment

That turned out nice. Did u use neetsfoot oil on this one and what sealer ?
                                I just used black edge coat, Eco-Flo Antiquing Saddle Tan Gel and then Mink Oil. I'm really liking this combination. Easy to work with and easy to keep it treated.

Comment

Working...
                                X