Full Velvet 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Velvet 8

Last weekend I saw a good looking eight poing still in full velvet. My thinking is that it is a stag deer. Anybody else have any ideas? Also, IF I shoot it, any recommendations on what to do in light of the velvet. Would probably skull mount it. How do I preserve the velvet?

Thanks

You need to get the horns cooled off in a cooler or freezer and then get it to the taxi ASAP. The hirns will live in the cooler for a while just like a hiide will, just don't let them stay hot or it will rot. Once the taxi has it he will inject it with a preservative.

Another thing to consider is letting him walk if you think he is a stag and your property will keep him around. Stags are known to get freakishly large both in body and horn. Just think if he puts on another 40-60 inches next year and does not loose his horns!

Comment

Let me shoot him and I'll demonstrate the proper care for a buck in velvet!

Comment

Big8
        I might have to let you shoot him if your lease keeps up the way it's been going. I'd hate to see you go 0-fer!

Comment

Working...
        X