Austin to Harlingen-I need directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin to Harlingen-I need directions

I need directions from Austin to Harlingen. Everything I've pulled up on the computer says to take I35 to I37 to US77. Is this the best way? I'm mainly looking for a way to avoid I35 since we'll be leaving in the 4:00 to 5:00 time frame. Any help is appreciated. Also while I'm out we'll need to eat. Any suggestions are appreciated. Keep in mind I'll be traveling with my 20 month old. Thanks in advance.

That's the way we always go. If you don't want to drive 35, you can take off in New Braunfels and take a F.M. South through all the small towns. I can't remember the number now, but if it were me, I think I would just fight 35. The traffic lights and stops like that drive me crazy when I'm trying to get somewhere. You should only have traffic to San Antonio, and then it should thin out the further South of San Antonio you get. Watch the speed traps at Driscoll and Ricardo on 77.

Not sure what time you will be through there, but Joe Cottons is supposed to be really good. It's a BBQ place right off of 77 just as you come around a curve in Robstown. I have heard about it all my life and have never stopped. Keep saying I'm going to do it one day.

Stop by the Las Vegas Cafe on Harrison in Harlingen for lunch and get some of those enchiladas for me!
    Last edited by Justin; 11-08-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I ate at Joe Cotton's once. The night I asked my now father-in-law for his daughters hand in marriage. I don't remember how good it was (I sure was nervous), but it all stayed down so I guess it was alright.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Especially about the speed traps. That the kind of information that really helps.

Comment

Whats going on in Harligen cehorn? There is a good BBQ place in San Benito just off the expressway its called the Longhorn. It would be a good place to eat. Dont know how long youll be in town.

Comment

When we go to the valley to visit my wifes family in Elsa we take 29 to burnet and then 281 all the way to three rivers and then 281 west all the way down but that way can be desolate and lots of speedtraps along the way. If you go that way antler cafe is good and Garzas in George west has good sausage wraps.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Sneaky, I have a wedding on Saturday. I'll be there from late Thursday night until Sunday morning.

Comment

At San Marcos get on 123 to Seguin, Stockdale and Karnes City. At Karnes City you merge onto 181 to Kenedy. Stay the course on down to Sinton where you hit 77. Straight down through the King and Yuteria Ranches and you are there!

I hate IH 35. Worst highway in the USA for scenery and junk traffic.

I have spent 25 years avoiding 35 on trips south.

Comment

We took 281 down last time to the Valley, but 77 takes you through the King Ranch. We go the I35 to I37 to US77 most of the time. If you are looking for entertainment in Harlingen I have a great place

Comment

Legdog's suggestion is a good one and so is Joe Cotten's in Robstown. I've also taken 183 through Gonzales, Cuero, etc and picked up 77 at Refugio...anything to get off 35.
                    You might try Pepe's while in Harlingen.

Comment

Working...
                    X