Solar Panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panel question

A few weeks ago I asked a question about solar panels and I was told that I neededa rectifier diode to keep my battery charge up. Can someone please show me what one looks like or shoot me a link to one? I have seen a couple different kind and am not sure which kind a need. Thanks.

Radio Shack has them I think

Comment

I know they sell a rectifier diode but I don't know if it is the right kind. The one that RS sells looks like a 3" long piece of silver wire with a small cylinder in the middle.

Comment

oops, sorry, I just read my post to your question.
        I think you have the right kind. The one my Dad and I installed (which didn't help my Moultree 100, which is another story) was just what you described. I think you need to put it on a volt meter to find the correct position to spice it into the wires. It is basically a "gate" and from what I understand you want to hang the diode the correct way.

Comment

SB...you got what you need...
          TTT is right

Comment

I seem to recall a thread on the subject that used the term "blocking diode."

Comment

A diode allows electrical current to flow in only one direction so you want to make sure that you have it placed in the proper direction. It's been a while since I studied them but if I remember correctly current flow is from the cathode to the anode. The cathode is usually noted by a painted bar that encircles one end of the diode. Most likely any diode that you put in place for this application will work just fine.

Comment

It's a stretch for me, it's been about 10 years since I messed with a diode.
                The flow goes from the anode to the cathode and the band is on the cathode end. So, the banded end would point towards you battery thus allowing the charge to flow from the panel to the battery but not from the battery to the panel.

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Texastaxi is correct, current flow is from anode to cathode. I should have looked it up before I posted. He is also correct about the direction of the diode if it is placed on the red lead (positive side) of the solar panel.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X