Rut in East Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rut in East Tx

Can any give me a heads up on what the rut is like in Angelina/Houston County right now? I'm trying to decide where and how to hunt on thursday. Thanks

I hunt in Newton county, and the rut is wide open, we are seeing a whole lot of running tracks, and many bucks chasing. The morning of the opener our lease manager shot a real nice 11 point that scored 149 5/8 at 6:58am that came in to a field and was running in circles with his nose to the ground, apparently there had been a doe in the field just before shooting light---- AND THERE WAS A FULL MOON THAT WEEKEND

Comment

I am in neither of those counties. I am one county over from you in Jasper. I shot a cull 5pt on Saturday night that had a doe with him. On Sunday morning I heard a buck grunting behind my feeder in the pines. Shortly there after out stepped a nice 8pt with his nose down and continuing to grunt. He kept looking over his shoulder and out pops a doe. She took off down the road and he ate turnips for a few minutes and then followed right behind her with his nose to the ground. Talking to the guy that runs our lease. He said they have been rutting for about 10 days. So we are probably mid to late way through the rut. You shouldn't be to far off. Good luck.

Comment

Venom, we are just souteast of Lufkin and they are chasing does right now. I think it will bust wide open this weekend. I personally feel they have been in the chase phase for the last two weeks but the does have not been very receptive. Look for the big boys to come out this weekend and all next week. That is my prediction. Call in sick starting on Thursday and keep calling in until the 19th or when you kill that giant.

Comment

We'll I just got back from pulling our game camera from the private land i was fixing to start hunting and there has been NOTHING in about a week. Thinking about going back out to NF w/ a doe bleat and a grunt call and see if I can't pull something out of the woods there.

Comment

Venom, we are just southeast of Lufkin and they are chasing does right now. I think it will bust wide open this weekend. I personally feel they have been in the chase phase for the last two weeks but the does have not been very receptive. Look for the big boys to come out this weekend and all next week. That is my prediction. Call in sick starting on Thursday and keep calling in until the 19th or when you kill that giant.

Comment

Thanksk everybody. You've given me hope for thurs. morn on NF if I do some calling.

Comment

Bucks are looking for does and chasing near Richland Chambers, I just don't think they're in heat yet. Haven't seen any big ones on the move. It will take the does in heat to get them out of their holes!

Comment

Hey Trophy Taker,

Have you used the ground blind yet?

Comment

Cur Dog,
                    I've hunted in it once and didn't see anything. It is in a road bed that runs through a thicket so I can't see much but perfect for the blind since there are no trees to hang a stand. Once the rut is over I will begin to hunt it again. It is easy to set up and will be good. this is the carbon venture with safari system for those of you that are wondering. not trying to hijack this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy_taker View Post
                      Cur Dog,
                      I've hunted in it once and didn't see anything. It is in a road bed that runs through a thicket so I can't see much but perfect for the blind since there are no trees to hang a stand. Once the rut is over I will begin to hunt it again. It is easy to set up and will be good. this is the carbon venture with safari system for those of you that are wondering. not trying to hijack this thread.
                      You're not, my questions were answered.

Comment

I hunted in Houston county last weekend, and the does were being chased all day.One doe looked like she was about ready to lay down and give up, she looked very tired. It should be some good hunting the next few weeks,due to the new antler restrictions, the gun shots have been held to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tushhog View Post
                          I hunted in Houston county last weekend, and the does were being chased all day.One doe looked like she was about ready to lay down and give up, she looked very tired. It should be some good hunting the next few weeks,due to the new antler restrictions, the gun shots have been held to a minimum.
                          Great News..and we chose that o****y b/c of the antler restrictions. I think it's a great program.

Comment

Working...
                          X