Clear All

I heard you scream here

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

That left a mark.... I've seen it

Comment

Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery

Comment

Dangit. Lightning does strike twice! I hope it's a different hand. Chicks dig scars and all that.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

I had a similar thing happen many years ago. I was probably 14 at the time, had been shooting compound bows for a couple of years at that point. Then bought some old wooden arrows at a garage sale, from a neighbor. Back then early to mid 80s, I had read a bit about arrow spline, and knew what Easton aluminum arrows were proper for my bow. I had never shot wooden arrows and then got a bunch of them cheaply.

The bow was a old Indian compound, something like a Whitetail hunter. It was a fixed 50 lb. draw bow, with probably 35% let off. It was my first compound bow. I shot the first wooden arrow, it flew fine, then the second one, came apart in mid flight, both the front and the rear halves of the arrow stuck into the target, actually made a nice group. Then the third arrow also came apart in mid flight, the front half stuck into the target, the back half hit the top of the hay bale tumbling and tumbled over the hay bale.

The the fourth and final shot, I released, the arrow came apart as I released. The rear half of the arrow went into my left hand about where my thumb bone and index finger bone meet up near near the wrist. The arrow followed up the index finger bone, then came out at the last knuckle, towards the tip of the finger. The arrow was basically like a very big splinter. It stuck out of the finger about 1 1/2". It was kind of like having a internal splint in my left index finger, but hurt like hell.

My mother, girl friend and her mother were all yelling that I needed to go to the hospital. I have never liked hospitals. So I basically hid from them in the garage. I was trying to pull the arrow out of my hand with my right hand, I could not grip the arrow hard enough to pull it out. I finally found some vice grips and I clamped the vice grips on the arrow shaft, then pulled with everything I had, and finally got the arrow out. It was like pulling the worst splinter out of your hand, you can imagine.

The skin was stretched so tight around the arrow, it did not bleed at all, when the arrow was in my hand. Once I got the arrow out, here came the blood. That's when the females took off and left me alone.

So now I know, I am not the only person who has managed to shoot themselves with a arrow. It would seem near impossible, but it can be a lot easier than you might think.

A carbon fiber arrow, I would imagine, would not feel very good, with the arrow splintering/shattering and leaving carbon fiber slinters in your arm. Definitely not going to just pull it all out in one piece with a pair of pliers. Would definitely have to cut open your arm to get all the pieces out. Don't sound like any fun.

When I first started shooting carbon fiber arrows back in the mid 90s, a few times the thought of a carbon fiber arrow splintering and pieces winding up in my arm or hand, did cross my mind. I have been shooting nothing but carbon fiber arrows since the mid 90s. I have found cracked arrows. I think I may have had a sliver come off of a cracked arrow once years ago, after it it a rock and then I shot it again. Those were Beeman arrows and the carbon fiber strands all ran lengthwise the length of the arrow. I have had very little problems with the woven carbon fiber design arrows. The only time I had any problems with the old Beeman arrows, were the ones that managed to hit rocks. Back in those days I lived, and practiced in a very rocky area and hunted in areas that were very rocky. So I hit rocks multiple times. As long as I did not hit a rock, those arrows held up very well and penetrated very deep, I was always impressed with them.

Good thing you did not have any worse damage than you did, did not sound like any fun, but it sounded like one surgery and then some recovery time and you were good, for the most part. I am sure it was not any fun at all. Will definitely make you aware of your arrows condition from then on.

Comment

hope you recover by the opener

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  hope you recover by the opener

I dont think I will be finished ready the dissertation above your post before the opener. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    I dont think I will be finished ready the dissertation above your post before the opener. [emoji15]

Lol!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I need a Kevlar arm guard.

Comment

Prayers sent!

For the whole bunch of you goobers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          This was 11 years ago.

You just HAD to bring this back up, didn't you?

I'm enjoying a lot of these old posts and I almost bumped one from 2008.

Comment

Why did I feel the need to go all the way though an 11 year old post? Prayers sent.

Comment

12 years ago now, just in case y’all wanted to feel old.

The scar looks like this now.

Comment

Ouch. Did you ever figure out why the shaft exploded?
                                Last edited by Gumbo Man; 08-21-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X