Fluid video heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid video heads

Does anyone have any experience with the Manfrotto 3-way pan/tilt head? I think the model number is 804rc2. It is a little cheaper than the Bogen 3130 and I think it is a little more versatile.

Spur, Leggy, and a few others have them...maybe Aggiebowman too.

Comment

The Manfrotto 3-way pan/tilt 804rc2 head is a direct replacement for the Bogen 3030. Manfrotto is Italy and Europe and renamed Bogen in the USA. So leaning on the Bogen 3030 (older style 804 for USA markets) and Manfrotto 804rc2 (improved 3030 European markets), these heads were designed specifically for pan/tilt 35mm camera movement typically used for architectural shots, set shots of precise stability...no movement after set. Not designed for video camera work.

The Bogen 3031 was designed for video camera work and free form movement. The difference is Fluid Head (video camera work) made for radius of movement to swing with enough tension to hold the camera at all angles without sag. Fluids and some ball heads provide 360 smooth movement with up and down azimuth working to the limits of your control arm, legs and swing radius.

Pan/Tilt heads are essentially set vertical and lock, set horizontal and lock and then shoot from that locked position. Not very fast, no fluidity in movement and a pain in the butt when you have to swing on a shot.

If your looking at setting the camera up on a tripod, aiming down a shooting lane and not moving at all...pan/tilt will get you by. If you yearn for a full motion head, allowing you to move from tripod to tree arm and return, a good fluid head will work very well in all situations. The 3130 is a good investment with years of service.

Comment

Thanks for the info. ATW. I almost pulled the trigger on the wrong piece of equipment!

Comment

You are looking at some high end stuff! I have used the manfrodo heads and tri-pods and loved them, but unlike AtTheWall I do not know the technical differences.

Comment

Good info Rob!! Chris, get the 3130

Comment

Working...
            X