Under Armour Coldgear: Worth the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Armour Coldgear: Worth the price?

Has anybody tried this and is it worth the 100 dollar price tag for the pants and the top or should I just stick to thermal underwear? I'm tempted to try it out but I'd rather get some input before I fork out that kind of money.

A friend of mine just bought some and loves it. He says it is definately worth every penny.
    Jeff Young

Comment

Yes, but of course I work for the people that rep it.

Comment

I too thought it was to high priced. I broke down and bought some, worth every penny!!!

Comment

I haven't tried it and think it is overpriced. I have a feeling the price tag reflects the enormous amount of UA apparrel that is "given" to atheletes and athletic programs. Think there is $100 of time and material in pair of Nikes? All those commericials and free shoes cost money. The consumer sets the market. That said, I have some of the thinner "spandex" tops by Wilson and Reebok that are pretty warm. They are aren't near as heavy a material as the UA cold gear but are nice to have on a cold day. I think all the guys on my lease have the UA except me. Maybe I need look into it. I just can't justify the price. I prefer wool, cheaper and proven since man sheered his first sheep.

Comment

I bought a set to try last year and I didn't like it very much.

It looks good, feels good and is easy to take care of but that is it. The moisture management (sweat and perspiration) was lousy. Synthetics aren't very good at removing vapor anyway, but even after mild exertion I felt clammy for a long time. This tells me that it wasn't very good at removing liquid as well. I don't know if it's the weave or the fiber, but it didn't move the sweat very well.

Not very durable. When walking in and out of my stands, or working or whatever, sometimes I will wear it as a shirt. Every little snag turns into a run or a little puff. Pretty soon they are all over the place.

No zip neck option. I use zip necks to help regulate temps (open for walking, etc.) and they dont have one.

The smell! After a few days of normal wear, without washing, THEY STINK! Synthetics are known for their ability to harbor bacteria, but these seemed to be the worst of any base layer synthetic I have used.

I have used Smart Wool products for years (and other micro weave wool brands). While the wool is a little more expensive up front, $120 for a full mid-weight set WITH ZIP NECK, they will last a lot longer, are easier to care for, don't stink, remove vapor as well as moisture and don't get runs from brush. Plus, wool is a natural fiber, doesn't need oil to make it.

My take, if you are going to the ski slopes and want to look good, and want a good performing thermal/wind shell, go with the UA.

But, if you are going to be doing serious work, and all that it entails, spend your money on wool.

Smart Wool website

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
              I prefer wool, cheaper and proven since man sheered his first sheep.
              Of course an Aggie is going to pick sheep first.

Comment

I have it but think it works best when moving and sitting. It doesn't seem to work too well when just sitting. It was perfect on my Colorado elk hunt. I won't wear it sitting in a blind for hours.

Comment

I have some, but it has to be darn cold for me to wear it. Unlike the comment above I've found its moisture transport to work really well and it to have decent durability, I've been wearing the same coldgear shirt for 3 years.

Comment

I bought some last year. Wore it a couple of times and couldnn't stand it. It was too hot when I was walking and too cold when sedentary. I could see using it on a stalking hunt in extreme cold (<20), but otherwise impractical overpriced pantyhose.
                    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Well, if ain't on the rack at WalMart I cain't afford it.........

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                        Of course an Aggie is going to pick sheep first.

Heath, I have been nice all year and refrained from running down the 'horns....and you gotta go say that.

Comment

Wal mart has a much cheaper version of compression fit clothing. since i live low budget, i bought those, and there are good. not great but good. paying $100 for under armour is like paying $100 for scent lock IMO. You can do the same thing for much less money and support a much smaller advertising budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                            I bought a set to try last year and I didn't like it very much.

It looks good, feels good and is easy to take care of but that is it. The moisture management (sweat and perspiration) was lousy. Synthetics aren't very good at removing vapor anyway, but even after mild exertion I felt clammy for a long time. This tells me that it wasn't very good at removing liquid as well. I don't know if it's the weave or the fiber, but it didn't move the sweat very well.

Not very durable. When walking in and out of my stands, or working or whatever, sometimes I will wear it as a shirt. Every little snag turns into a run or a little puff. Pretty soon they are all over the place.

No zip neck option. I use zip necks to help regulate temps (open for walking, etc.) and they dont have one.

The smell! After a few days of normal wear, without washing, THEY STINK! Synthetics are known for their ability to harbor bacteria, but these seemed to be the worst of any base layer synthetic I have used.

I have used Smart Wool products for years (and other micro weave wool brands). While the wool is a little more expensive up front, $120 for a full mid-weight set WITH ZIP NECK, they will last a lot longer, are easier to care for, don't stink, remove vapor as well as moisture and don't get runs from brush. Plus, wool is a natural fiber, doesn't need oil to make it.

My take, if you are going to the ski slopes and want to look good, and want a good performing thermal/wind shell, go with the UA.

But, if you are going to be doing serious work, and all that it entails, spend your money on wool.

Smart Wool website
                            Hmmmm. My experience with it has been exactly the opposite. In my experiences with it, it wicks away moisture better than anything I have ever used in the past.

I will somewhat agree on the snagging, it does snag pretty easily and will pul the threads but is hasn't resulted in a tear or rip so far.

They do have a 1/4 zip similar to a henley shirt.

My experience has definitely been the opposite here. I can wear mine for days and I have been amazed at it's ability to not hold the smell when the rest of my cotton clothes just plain stink; this has been especially true with the heat gear stuff for me.

It may not work for everyone but it has worked extremely well for me. I think it's worth the money.

Comment

Thanks Heath, I just blew Dr. Pepper all over the HP. Now that was funny.

I have been wanting to get some and so far this thread has me wavering back and forth. I am now going to check the stuff at Wal mart because the price tag is he reason i haven't done it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X