No announcement yet.

Big Cat kill in East Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I wasn't going to comment on this subject since I haven't personally seen any big cats. But there are apparently plenty on TBH that either have or believe in them . So here's my input. About a year ago I ran into a family traveling from Navasota,Tx to DeRidder,LA. after being at a wedding. We were at the Dairy Queen in Newton, Texas when I met them. They were very excited and said that had seen a mountain lion outside a small town South east of Huntsville and they actually had got pictures. I told them I'd like to see them. They got the camera and showed me. Guess what! A solid, absolutely pitch-black mountain lion. Undeniable. Long curled tail and big. Stalking down the backside of the pasture. They got several pictures of him as he went in and out of the grass. It's just too bad that I didn't know that it was such a bid deal. I would have tried to stay in contact with them and got copies. oh well! And yes, I've had many acquaintances that have had them go across the highway. So there really are mountain lions in East Texas, and at least one is black!

Comment

Saw a mexican sub-species just outside Loop 410 in San Antonio Nov 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow99 View Post
        Me and the brother-in-law ran into one south of Coleman. We were out just walking the fringes of the property. The back property line has a creek with quite a few young mesquites along the bank and a 10 acre field on the other side of the trees. We were in the field walking the edge of the trees when a large black cat stood up 20 yards in front of us and took off walking left to right into the 3 foot tall grass. We both looked at each other and spouted the same words simultaneously "Was that what I thought it was?"

This is the same creek I let my then 6 and 8 year old kids walk up and down.

We went to the agricultural office the next day and talked to the biologist about it. He said that people would be surprised at just how many there were wondering around.
        My family lived in Coleman for 25 years where my dad worked at the lake. More than once there was evidence of cats around...HUGE tracks (not there when we walked away from the truck, covering his tracks coming back to it!), deer covered in leaves right under a tree (he was throwing together a makeshift blind for the Boys Ranch hunt right on the other side of that tree). They are definitely all over the place. There's lots of emails that circulate from the Abilene area all the way down south of Mason. HUGE, huge cats draped over tailgates to show size and all. One guy even took a picture of one looking in his kitchen storm door during winter time watching his kiddo playing on the floor!! Can be kinda scary.

Comment

I think they are expanding because of the wild hogs,it's an unlimited source of food.

Comment

There is a reason Liberty and Anahuac High Schools mascots are Black Panthers....just sayin

Comment

A BLACK mountain lion in Texas, that is truly a figment of the imagination, maybe poor lighting or just a dark brown cat, but not BLACK!!!

Comment

Being from Cali [not my choice just a geographic reality], I have spent a lot of time in the woods, camping, fishing, and hunting and have never seen a mountain lion in person. That is not to say I have not heard them before and if you ever had, you would know it is nothing that can be memiced or mistaken. Absolutely blood chilling. Even felt one's presence while deer hunting on public forrest land. A buddy and me were returning to the truck and came thru an area where a spring was making a nice large area muddy. While looking for any deer tracks, we noticed a very large cat footprint, laid right on top of my buddy print from our first trip thru the area hours earlier. Nothing like that to make you feel like you are not the only hunter in the woods.

In Cali they are being over run with them because the cannot be hunted any longer [they are too cute and cuddly] thanks to the huggers, and those folks don't realize that without proper management, they will continue to populate and push each other into populated areas. Since they are a solitary animal when grown, it is common for them to be pushed by older cats. We lived in Bakersfield [north of LA about 1-1/2 hours] and before we moved in 05 they had a number of occasions that the Dept of Forestry had to issue orders to kill a few that had wandered into the Lost Hills area [very flat and baron, mainly oilfields, at least 80-100 miles from any forest], which is not thier habitat. Heck why do you think every now and then one is seen in the hills of LA, grabbing a hiker or family pet. Big cats are out there and even though you may not see them, if they are in the area, they already know what you are doing.

Comment

I swear I had one coming through my place not long ago. At around 9:30pm that thing would scream and it'd make the hair stand up on my neck and the dogs run in the house.

Used to be a couple of folks here that had them for pets and there was some talk about the people just letting it go cause they was tired of keeping them. Don't know if the talk it true but those people don't have them anymore. Makes me wonder.

Comment

wat about wolves is there any in east tx

Comment

A semi auto rifle and a newborn calf call sounds in order. I would be all over that. They are varmints in Texas, right??

Comment

I saw one in colorado county, and so did some oilfield hands the same morning I did..
                        Does that count for east texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Joebuck View Post
                          A BLACK mountain lion in Texas, that is truly a figment of the imagination, maybe poor lighting or just a dark brown cat, but not BLACK!!!
                          At between 11:00 and 11:30 am, almost mid day. Walking broadside at 20 yards. A black cat slightly taller than my knee caps. Some of us know what we're talking about. and of course there are some that don't.

Comment

I saw one last year along the intercoastal canal out of Matagorda. does that count

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow99 View Post
                              At between 11:00 and 11:30 am, almost mid day. Walking broadside at 20 yards. A black cat slightly taller than my knee caps. Some of us know what we're talking about. and of course there are some that don't.
                              You know what you saw, and that should be enough for you. People say the very same thing that I said to you about the mountain lion I saw in Polk County, but I could care less, because I am 1,000,000,000% sure what I saw was a mountain lion. If they choose not to beleive that mountain lions exist in the face of the confirmed sightings and mortalities, that is fine, I am confident in what I saw.

Black Mountain Lions, however have never been confirmed in Texas, or the U.S. in general for that matter. If you think you saw a black mountain lion in the United States of America, than I beleive you should try to get a photo or some kind of evidence, it would make you a famous man. But truth be told, only you know what you saw and that should be enough for you, don't waste your time trying to convince me, cause you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by BulverdeBowHunt View Post
                                There is a reason Liberty and Anahuac High Schools mascots are Black Panthers....just sayin
                                Please explain. As I must me ignorant to what you are implying with this comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X