Nolan County javelinas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nolan County javelinas?

Sunday morning sitting in the blind deep in........thought, yeah that's it thought I begin to hear the sound of corn crunching and look up to see what I thought was a hog eating corn at about 15 yards. He's facing straight away from me so I have no shot at the moment. A minute or so later he turns broadside and I see the tell tale white spots, the white vertical band (target) behind the shoulder and the mane along the back of the neck. It's then that I realized it was a Javelina. I knew there was a season on them but in 7 years of hunting in the general area this was the first time I had actually seen one. I'd love to say that I killed him but that was not the case, but he has a lot of hair missing from his mane/back; I shot right over him at 10 yards no less. I guess I was just a little excited about seeing something I had never seen in the past.

I wonder if he'll be back? We don't even have trail cam pictures of any Javies and we have cams on every feeder on the place.

That is great!
    That is hard to believe, considering where Nolan county is.
    Good Luck smackin' him next time!

Comment

I'm surprised he didn't come back to the corn within minutes. Usually, their stomach guides them ... not their brain!

I had 2 come out during a rifle hunt about 5 years ago. I shot the first one and the second one ran back into the brush. About 10 minutes later, the second one came back ... he got a bullet too! Now they both adourn the wall of my game room!

Comment

I hunted in Nolan county on the same lease for 15 years. No one had seen javi's for the first ten years or so. Then, one year they just "showed up" and we saw a lot of them. I killed one that year. They were there for a couple years and then disappeared again. I think maybe it's kind of on the "fringe" of their range. Get'em while you can!

Comment

Working...
        X