No announcement yet.

GRXH 2010 After Action Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I am really sorry I couldn't make it this year. I finally got the Tracker fixed and the new carpet is in. So hopefully next year I won't have any excuse. Rat, I was thinking about heading up that way sometime. You down for doing a little guiding for crappie and hogs?

Comment

Looks like a heck of a trip. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
        Next year I HAVE to make this trip. Looks like a blast. You hammock campers are tougher than me! No food I can take. Sleeping in a sling just isn't going to happen for me. Well at least not the first night.
        Don't knock hammocks 'till you've tried 'em. Everyone thought I was crazy when I started sleeping in them 7-8 years ago as well; this year there were almost as many hammocks as tents!

I know others had cameras out there so I think we will see more pixels as soon as people recover!

For the last two years I haven't hunted but have fished mostly. Also when we have so many people show up for a hunt like this someone has to take care of camp. Mostly cut the wood needed to keep everything running, we use lots of wood.

Wildman and I did fish all weekend and caught one keeper white, that's all. Krueger, Zach and Possum had put out jugs and made a pretty good haul on Friday and Saturday. Crod killed his hog on Friday night so we all ate pork, for the first time on a GRXH, on Friday then fish and pork on Sat; we even had leftovers.

About mid-day on Saturday Wudstix found some lost BSA and GSA troop members wandering around the area behind PC. He led them to the PC and they made camp on the South end. I talked to them for about an hour and they are a group heading to Philmont this year and are doing some shack-down hikes. Grinderboy kept them, and us, entertained by donning the Granger Gorilla suit and running through their campsite/fire ring after dark. They took it really well and even cheered him on after the initial shock wore off; he received a big round of applause from them for that!

The lake and river are in prime shape, the camp site was in great shape and we all had a freakin' blast, like always!

7hanks to everyone who attended this years GRXH, y'all make it great!

Ten Things I learned at GRXH 2010:
        1) It's a long hike from Taylor Park (Wudstix)
        2) We need to invent something like "Mud Shoes"
        3) 54° water is, well, cold!
        4) I should have bought stock in Mora Knives!
        5) Carolina Skiffs CAN take a stump at 30 MPH
        6) Dirtymike and Sacket's boat are like oil and water, they just don't mix very well
        7) You CAN cook right on the coals of a fire
        8) The Pyramids MAY have been built by Aliens from space
        9) Wildman WILL chase you down and beat you for rocking The Princess
        10) Its just not the same without Bowwiz, we missed ya Brother!

Next up, the Meat and Potatoes Hunt, so stay tuned!

Comment

Excellent! Hard core, as always! Nice recap, Robert!

Michael
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Just to make this clear..........

SLOW DOWN TO NO WAKE WHEN PASSING BEACHED BOATS!

The one thing that burns my butt more than anything is for a fool in a boat to come flying by 8 boats tied and beached on the side of the river and not care enough to slow down to NO WAKE and bounce boats off the bank/rocks/stumps. And yes, if you see a baby blue Panga on the bank and you don't slow down and bounce my boat off the bank, swamp flat bottoms and bounce Kruger's boat off a tree, I will chase you down and explain to you how you WILL behave and be a responsible boater in the river. Hopefully, you apologize for your lack of knowledge of being a responsible boater. Yes, I am still a bit bent over that clown's driving.

Now, to the fun times of the weekend.

Ten things I learned:

1: If you have your boat tied to a tree, and anchored in the stern. You will test the water temperature if you don't have a solid foot hold when freeing the stern anchor. But, I was fine because I brought extra socks.

2: If a bobcat is at 5 yards, and you are shooting a recurve, shoot low... er

3: Kruger can fish, and has a 25hp outboard (there is a story there that he can tell)

4: Tents are over rated

5: Yellow, white, bubblegum, black, red, purple, green, blue, purple did not catch white bass.

6: Chinaberry wood is not good fire wood

7: Catfish is not as good as Crappie, unless it is Saturday night and you don't have any Crappie

8: If you want something done, offer a Bounty

9: Motor Guide trolling motors are not as good as Minn Kota

10: I need a bigger boat

Comment

Looks like a good trip. How many hogs/fish did yall end up with?

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                Looks like a good trip. How many hogs/fish did yall end up with?
                None!

Comment

What an awesome recap.

Comment

awesome

looks like you boys actually gained weight this year!

Comment

After this year we may have to limit jug lines and broadheads

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
                        ]

The one thing that burns my butt more than anything is for a fool in a boat to come flying by 8 boats tied and beached on the side of the river and not care enough to slow down to NO WAKE and bounce boats off the bank/rocks/stumps. And yes, if you see a baby blue Panga on the bank and you don't slow down and bounce my boat off the bank, swamp flat bottoms and bounce Kruger's boat off a tree, I will chase you down and explain to you how you WILL behave and be a responsible boater in the river. Hopefully, you apologize for your lack of knowledge of being a responsible boater. Yes, I am still a bit bent over that clown's driving.
                        Yup,seen this a couple times.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
                          After this year we may have to limit jug lines and broadheads
                          Spears and slingshots maybe?

DJ

Comment

10 things I Learned

Ten Things I learned at the official Granger Ranger X-treme Hunt 2010.

1. Don’t bring food into camp unless you killed it.
                            2. Crodd snores
                            3. Don’t expect Crodd to pee more than 10 feet away from the tent in the middle of the night
                            4. Don’t pull on old jankie pull start ropes too hard because they will break.
                            5. Put a weight limit on txfirefighters (aka Irene’s) gear or he will pack the house up.
                            6. If you think it might be cold at night pack more bedding.
                            7. Keep an eye out for crodd’s stuff for him because he likes to loose it or drop it in the river.
                            8. Hogs and beavers can sound similar.
                            9. Expect to fall on your @$$ if it is muddy
                            10. Last and for most be prepared to have a great time and meet great people.

The trip was great I had a great time. If all goes well Team ****** will be back together next year for another eventful weekend. For all of those people I met at this years Granger Ranger hunt it was a pleasure, I look forward to seeing everybody again soon. Thanks to Crodd and txfirefighter for all the help, I am looking forward to hunting in the near future with yall.

Comment

I forgot number 11.

Number 11: Rat's dull chainsaw works better than a sharp ax

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                                Ten Things I learned at the official Granger Ranger X-treme Hunt 2010.

1. Don’t bring food into camp unless you killed it.
                                2. Crodd snores
                                3. Don’t expect Crodd to pee more than 10 feet away from the tent in the middle of the night
                                4. Don’t pull on old jankie pull start ropes too hard because they will break.
                                5. Put a weight limit on txfirefighters (aka Irene’s) gear or he will pack the house up.
                                6. If you think it might be cold at night pack more bedding.
                                7. Keep an eye out for crodd’s stuff for him because he likes to loose it or drop it in the river.
                                8. Hogs and beavers can sound similar.
                                9. Expect to fall on your @$$ if it is muddy
                                10. Last and for most be prepared to have a great time and meet great people.

The trip was great I had a great time. If all goes well Team ****** will be back together next year for another eventful weekend. For all of those people I met at this years Granger Ranger hunt it was a pleasure, I look forward to seeing everybody again soon. Thanks to Crodd and txfirefighter for all the help, I am looking forward to hunting in the near future with yall.
                                I dont snore......but I do remember peeing close to your head LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X