gun safe humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gun safe humidity

A friend of mine came to me with a question, believeing that bowhunters know everything. I didn't have the answer, and not wanting to dispell the notion, I have come here for your help.

He has a gun safe in his garage, he is worried about humidity and the guns rusting. He says there are some products out there for this purpose, a stick or rod of some sort, and a box type device to trap mositure. Does anyone have any experience with these??? Do they work? Worth the money?

Thanks.

I just use a regular Remington Moisture bags from any hunting store...I've heard about the rod that you plug in but don't have any reviews on them...

Comment

Use a GOLD ROD. It is a heat device made for gun safes. I use them in all of mine and have never had a problem with rust. You can buy them through. Bass Pro, Cabellas. Gander Mountian, Or any local place that sells gun Safes...

These units plug into the wall. ( 110 v) They cost about $29.00 I think....

Comment

If you don't have a way to plug in a Golden Rod, just get a container of DryOut.

They come in a little jar with some white, foamy pebbles in it, you just pour out the water as it accumulates (maybe once a month or less often). They last forever. We get them at the Container Store (about $5.00)

We use them at the ranch house and inside the safe.

It also helps keep the silver from tarnishing inside the safe.

Comment

You can also use a product called DampRid. It's a bag of crystals that absorb moisture. As long as they're white, they're working. When they turn pink, they're saturated and they have to be replaced. I've had the same two bags in my gun safe for a couple years because (apparently) there's not much moisture where I have it. But if you have it in a humid location, you might have to replace the bags more often.

Comment

browning makes a box called safedry, thats what i use, inhibitor is good as well

Comment

Depending on where you live, I would recommend both a golden rod and a can/box of silica/dessicant. I live on the coast (ultra high humidity) and my safe is in my garage and with the golden rod alone I still had enough moisture to develop some very light surface rust. Easy to wipe off and can be prevented with a lite coating of oil when you put the gun away. Since adding the can of silica in addition to the golden rod I have not had any problems. Also depends on how often you open the safe.

Comment

Working...
              X