Elongated Hooves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elongated Hooves?

A couple weeks ago some pictures were posted of a deer with long hooves. Can someone repost that picture? What causes that?

I just happen to have it....
    Last edited by Gunther; 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

That's the one, Thanks!
      Anyone know what causes this? My dad shot an 8pt this weekend that had this. I'll post the pictures when I get them.

Comment

Besides this picture and a couple others like it sent to me, I have only seen this once and it was on a Donkey that someone neglected to take care of. I'm assuming that the soild the deer was harvested on is very soft. Like maybe it was a swamp buck that lived in marsh land.

Comment

It happens to horses when they "founder" from eating too much green stuff. Never seen it in a deer before though! That's messed up!

It's actually called "Laminitis" - here is some info on it.

What is Laminitis?
          Laminitis is a very painful condition of the foot. Basically it is a failure of the attachment of the pedal bone and the inner hoof wall. The pedal bone is attached to the hoof wall by two interlocking layers of laminae (strong connecting tissues) and when these tissues for whatever reason get inflamed or the blood supply is disturbed the attachment between the laminae fail. This results in a tearing of the pedal bone away from the hoof wall and due to the strong pull of the deep digital flexor tendon a consequent rotation of the pedal bone within the hoof. This cascade of events can result in varying degrees of change depending on the inciting cause with worst cases involving the pedal bone rotating so much as to have its tip penetrate the solar surface or the attachment tearing away not only at the front of the foot but all the way around allowing the pedal bone to sink within the hoof.

Trailboss

Comment

Ok I meant to say soil...

Comment

Working...
            X