Scope suggestions for a .45 Long Colt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope suggestions for a .45 Long Colt

A 10 year old boy of a co-worker is really interested in hunting. I've taken him bowhunting for the last few years and I think he's ready to kill a deer or pig of his own. I've got a Winchester .45 long colt that would be the perfect gun for him. It doesn't kick! But, I think I need to put a scope on it for him to be accurate enough to make a killing shot. Any suggestions for a quality scope in the $125 or less range? Any chance of getting a scope with some type of quick release system so I can shoot it with the iron sights? Thanks for any suggestion y'all may have.

I had a scope on my first deer rifle, a marlin .44, and did not even use it! best bet would be to get him close enough for a killing shot and let the rifle do the rest, that .45 will put a hole thru a elephant's rear end! If he already been bowhunting with you he must be able to sit still enough.

Comment

If you're putting a scope on it, the Cabelas 42 mm red dot is 1x power, and has help up (to my amazement) on top of my 450 Marlin and it's recoil for less than $50 I think. It is not good in bright daylight, I can't see the red dot. But at dawn and dusk it's great.

Comment

+1 on the red dot. At the ranges you are gonna use the .45 it would be perfect, and easy for the kid to use on a rifle that not ft him perfecty. Buy one of the cheap ones at Cabela's and if it does crater you can take it back.

Good luck,

B

Comment

That's exactly what I did on the Cabelas red dot (looks like a private labeled Tasco to me). So far a maybe 20 shots out of the cannon and it has not shaken anything loose. The battery is cheap also, I think I picked up a replacement at Home Depot. I've left the scope on for hours forgetting it was operating, and the battery still works.

Comment

I have a Cabelas 2X shotgun/Blackpowder scope on my Marlin .44 mag and couldnt be happier.

Comment

Working...
            X