Winter wheat and deer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter wheat and deer??

Rancher planted about 20 acres in winter wheat and it is coming up nice and green. I have never hunted around winter wheat and would like to know how the deer like it? Will they hit hard?

not really sure bout that paticular plant but i think that really any food plot should work in the winter when the deer are really hungry. just my .02

Comment

Don't know if they will hit it hard, but deer like winter wheat and will eat the heck out of it. They will generally be in the field during the night, and will be there come sun up.

Comment

The deer love it.

Comment

We have two big wheat fields and I glassed 11 deer eating around the edges or out in the middle last weekend. Yes the love it especially when its young as it will be now.

Comment

That's what I wanted to hear. I set up a ground blind at the top of a draw that leads to the field. thanks

Comment

One suggestion...For any food plot place a wire basket about 18" in diameter and about 2 feet tall to check the progress of the food source, verses the deer grazing. A couple of years I planted food plots in E. Texas and thought they were not growing. I then placed the wire basket only to find the deer were eating it to the ground before it had a chance to mature. This year I planted several food sources and they have been devoured to the ground and my basket has plants about 12" tall. A great benchmark.

Good huntin'!

Doug Key

Comment

Deer love the stuff, they should hit it perty hard in the evening!

Comment

Sit around it one evening and find out where the deer are coming into the field at. Setting up a blind in the wrong place will do you no good.......The deer will have many different trails they will use and most of the time will be coming into the field in the evening and leaving the field in the mornings....

Comment

Working...
                  X