Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Meat...How long will it keep on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leave mine in a cooler draining between 7-10 days and I've never had a problem. I have even left them up to 2 weeks a few times. Keep it cold and you will be good.

Comment

I might have been a little overly concerned. With the temps being so cold the last couple of days, I didn't worry too much about the meat (we've had overnight temps in the teens and very low twenties).

After quartering, it went into the walk in cooler on Monday, then in the ice chest with ice (still in the bag), and processed Tuesday afternoon and yesterday evening. But, I put a thermometer in the ice chest and in the meat (after I ground it,) and the temperature was right at 40 degrees (by the end of the evening). Much of what I've read seems to say that you should keep meat sub 40 degrees. So, when I saw the temp reading, I got a little concerned. I didn't measure the temp pre-grind though.

This is my first time to process an animal. Being new, I'm looking closely at the variables.

With all the talk of gamey taste coming from sinew, membrane, etc., I did a little experiment. I ground and packaged the very cleanest portions separately from the portions that had more trash. We'll see the taste difference. But, of course, if I had distributed the lower grade stuff throughout the higher grade stuff, it would probably make a big difference. Maybe, I'll mix the two later before cooking and see what happens.

Nevertheless, I'm having fun and trying something new. I will say, though, I underestimated how much work it can be!

Thanks for the input.

Court

Comment

I finished processing a wt and an axis last Sunday that were killed on 12/29 and 12/30. They hung in the walk in for a few days then on ice the rest of the time. We at the tender loin Monday night and it was great. Jen made axis meat balls on Tuesday and they were awesome. I think its better than being on ice a little longer than frozen then thawed out to be processed. Your meat should be fine. let me know if you ever want to come process meat with us.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I have 4 deer in a 200 quart ice chest right now that is pretty much frozen solid.
          Well, you better do something with it! You're gonna need that cooler come next weekend!!

Comment

Have done 10-14 days many times. Always keeping ice fresh and drained water daily.

Comment

I generally go 4 or 5 days. obviously many, many people on here go much longer. My processor requires details of what you've been doing with your deer if you've had it longer than 7 days before you bring it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                Lol. Thx. I guess it was cause I didn't die. This was from 2009,lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's good news. Processing offer still stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post
                  I might have been a little overly concerned. With the temps being so cold the last couple of days, I didn't worry too much about the meat (we've had overnight temps in the teens and very low twenties).

After quartering, it went into the walk in cooler on Monday, then in the ice chest with ice (still in the bag), and processed Tuesday afternoon and yesterday evening. But, I put a thermometer in the ice chest and in the meat (after I ground it,) and the temperature was right at 40 degrees (by the end of the evening). Much of what I've read seems to say that you should keep meat sub 40 degrees. So, when I saw the temp reading, I got a little concerned. I didn't measure the temp pre-grind though.

This is my first time to process an animal. Being new, I'm looking closely at the variables.

With all the talk of gamey taste coming from sinew, membrane, etc., I did a little experiment. I ground and packaged the very cleanest portions separately from the portions that had more trash. We'll see the taste difference. But, of course, if I had distributed the lower grade stuff throughout the higher grade stuff, it would probably make a big difference. Maybe, I'll mix the two later before cooking and see what happens.

Nevertheless, I'm having fun and trying something new. I will say, though, I underestimated how much work it can be!

Thanks for the input.

Court
                  The gameyest (that's a word I swear) meat I've ever had, both hog and deer, have come from animals that were butchered and frozen within a couple days of death. I can say I've never had a gamey animal that's been aged properly. The one I just got done with was a 7.5 year old gnarly beat up buck in full rut when he was killed by my son, started working my way through the meat at 14 days in the cooler on ice and finished at 16 days. Immediately pan fried some butterflied backstrap and put the jerky in the dehydrator. No gamey whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post

Thanks for the input.

Court
                    Did you ever finish your experiment? I was wondering if you were able to tell a difference between the two different grinds.

Comment

7 days, no problem. Drain and put more ice in. I will also add some salt. I have had meat in a cooler for 10 days before without an issue.

Comment

It's interesting reading how everyone does this. I was always under the impression that once it is frozen and thaws out, it can't be frozen again or it will spoil. Evidently that may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by BW412 View Post
                          It's interesting reading how everyone does this. I was always under the impression that once it is frozen and thaws out, it can't be frozen again or it will spoil. Evidently that may not be the case.
                          Not the case at all. Most meat bought from a store has been thawed and frozen 7 times.

Comment

Working...
                          X