Clear All

Calling to Deer

I have a Primos hands-free buck & doe call. It has five different settings:

Young Buck
    Trophy Buck
    Estrus Bleat
    Doe Bleat
    Doe Grunt

What should I use now during the "pre-rut?" What would be the best call pattern?

estrus bleat and young buck in conjunction.
    you want a buck to think there's a hot doe being tended by a young buck -
    a trophy grunt might scare an actual buck to where he won't come to present
    a shot. I use the Primos can (estrus doe) along with a grunt call.

Comment

And, don't overcall! After a minute or so, give it a break. I usually don't call more than once every 1/2 hour or so. Others might have more experience with this, and I'd love to hear it, but for me, calling too much only educates the deer in your area.

Comment

I have the same call, but haven't used it yet. I am afraid I won't do it right, and will scare away everything big enough to die! I need to find somewhere that has an example of what a buck grunt sounds like, because I have never heard one before.

Comment

I like to use the young buck most of the time it is a good all season call. Like ZZ Pops I will blow my call once are twice about every 1/2 hour are so. I blow mine as if to say heh it's more of a social grunt. I know that I have killed several deer that I wouldn't have got a shot at without it.If I see a deer out of range or going in another direction I will blow my call just loud enough to get their attention and not more than I have to as long as they are working towards me. I shot a doe this year on public land that I wouldn't have got if I hadn't turned it to me with a call. Today Rabo and I decided to do some stalking and he grunted in two small 8 pt. bucks in, one within 20yrds. but I didn't have a clear shot. My grunt calls are like my bow I want leave the house without them.

Comment

Working...
          X