Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Let's consider opportunity for a minute. A DPS officer has occasion to issue a citation or a warning about once every 15 minutes (roughly). A GW has occasion to make such a decision perhaps on average about once and maybe twice a day(roughly). Expecting/trusting a GW will issue a warning should probably not be a consideration.
    First, I'm not saying break the law with the expectation of forgiveness.

Jeff you are right, expecting/trusting a warning will be issued should probably not be a consideration. Hoping, now that is a defferent story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
      Michael addressed this earlier. They do not rule this site with an iron hand. Warnings are given, pm's sent, second chances handed out frequently.... and no where have they sad the GW's were bad guys.
      I will tell you that quite a few people would argue that it is.

Nice of you to jump to Michael's defense though.

Originally posted by Dru View Post
      Really?!?!?!
      Oh yeah, REALLY!!!!!

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
      Hopefully this does not sound condescending, but Its like some people are not even reading the same thread!

from the very beginning of this epic discussion, I tried to make it clear that the game wardens are in no way begrudged for doing their job.

Should they just give warnings and use reasonable discretion to everyone? Of course not!!!

Are Michael Middleton and Steven Leggett above the law!?!? NO!

I hope this finally makes those points clear.
      Unfortunatelly, I have read the whole thread.

I think the point was very clear at the very beginning.

Comment

And to all those that are sticklers on the law think about this. Bet very few here have never committed a felony just never been caught. To all of those that think the law should be used any way it can these "felons" would not be able to own guns anymore. Just some food for thought.

Comment

I hope this finally makes those points clear.
          isn't there a saying about hoping in one hand and.....
          Good luck with that.

Comment

Bring it in gentlemen/ladies. Valid points on both sides. This is one where nobody is "wrong".

On the positive, TBH is collectively wiser for this thread in a lot of ways.

Hard to find fault with the GWs for writing at least one citation. But can't say its surprising that Michael and Steven would be less conversational in the same circumstances if it were to occur in the future.

Hopefully, the prosecutor and Judge will weigh equities in this unfortunate incident and, if convicted, the fine will relect the absence of a culpable mental state.
            Last edited by A&M 90; 10-06-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by netxbuck View Post
              And to all those that are sticklers on the law think about this. Bet very few here have never committed a felony just never been caught. To all of those that think the law should be used any way it can these "felons" would not be able to own guns anymore. Just some food for thought.
              I have no idea what kind of folks you hang around, but let me start by saying I have NEVER committed a felony!!!!! NEVER EVER NEVER!!!!

Please put me in the "very few" category.

Comment

~sigh~

It has everything to do with trust.

The Gamewarden is paid to find things wrong and enforce the law. For example, if you take a deer and your license is in camp, you can not trust the gamewarden to understand that you intend to promptly tag your animal after loading it in your truck and driving it to the cleaning station. You can not trust the game warden to understand you forgot to put an ink pen in your back pack or that you have a zip tie in camp and will attach the tag there.

The stories are scattered all through this thread. You would be foolish to trust the gamewarden to ever give a warning or allow any kind of reasonable leniency. Have the pen on you ready to fill out the tag where the game crashes or you should expect to be fined.

Of course you can't trust the game warden to bend the law A LITTLE and give you a warning. The law is the law, and like you stated; you should either know the law and follow it, or expect a ticket.

Comment

Ok tex acnes. You may be right but bet during entire life most people here have on three or more occasions had two beers in one hour then driven on public roadway. Or something else trivial like that.

Comment

I've read the Entire Thread, numerous times...

I don't think that GWs are evil, and I have not lost any respect for them.

I learned from your mistake, Legdog.

And I thank you and Michael for displaying this incident the way you did, you could have easily not said anything, then the thousands of people that read this thread would have not been informed/reminded.

You could have also been complete a-holes to the officers involved and pasted all over a bowhunting forum that they were horrible people "out to get the hunter" Which you both have proved, numerous times, that they were NOT.

I don't think that anyone has said they are above the law; but we are all discussing that the 2 men involved were shocked. Others have been misread, and are over reading into things.

I am thankful that the thread is still around, because I think it has brought a lot of attention to something that is easily forgotten.

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by netxbuck View Post
                      Ok tex acnes. You may be right but bet during entire life most people here have on three or more occasions had two beers in one hour then driven on public roadway. Or something else trivial like that.
                      Having 2 or more beers and driving on a public roadway is not a felony...FYI

Comment

Three times it is. Three dwi's is a felony.

Comment

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on this forum...and there are some good ones. Different opinions and perspectives are great and this is one subject that could be argued by most either way. Good stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Swat791 View Post
                            The law doesn't give allowances for misunderstandings or if I am a good citizen. I'm sure there are a lot of good citizens in this great state, but we don't have a data base for us "Good Citizens". Maybe we should create one, huh?
                            Swat, first I would like to say thanks for what you do. Although canesfan will probably say I'm kissing up, I really do mean it.

The data base is agood idea, but it would probably be small enough to keep in a notebook.

The law may not give allowances for misunderstandings or good citizens, but the LEO's have that ability, ..ie.. warnings. IMHO, i think in this situation a warning would hace gained compliance.

Comment

Dealing with LEs they are basicly looking to stick you. When they have you pulled over they could care less about being your buddy, they are there for buisness! Compliance with what they ask is always to your best interest, but keeping it absolutely short as possible is in your best interest. I used to have the greatest respect for LEOs until my last dealings with a pair of DPS officers, never again. From now on they get only what they ask for!

Comment

hmm

Solution for those that are against discretion of GW...the next time you are stopped and checked and the GW says he will let you go with a warning, tell him, "no that's ok, I broke the law...just give me the ticket."

Comment

Working...
                                X