No announcement yet.

Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically speaking.......what's a "carcass"??

carcass, carcase
    1. the body of an animal killed for meat. The head, the legs below the knees and hocks, the tail, the skin and most of the viscera are removed. The kidneys are left in and in most instances the body is split down the middle through the sternum and the vertebral bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      SIGH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for helping to make my point. All you keep saying is you hope the GW forgives you for not abiding by the game laws when you get caught. Sorry, it didn't work out that way for you. This has ZERO to do with trust in a GW.
      Semantics... Fish

I do everything right a 100 times and then 1 time I forget. Murphy's law says that is when I will be checked. Should I trust (have faith) that the GW will realize there was no intent to break the rules, see that I am a law abiding citizen (CCL) and use his discretion to issue a warning?

Why have the ability to issue warnings if they are not going to. Maybe this ability should be taken away, because if there was ever a case to use it, this was it.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
        ~sigh~

It has everything to do with trust.

The Gamewarden is paid to find things wrong and enforce the law. For example, if you take a deer and your license is in camp, you can not trust the gamewarden to understand that you intend to promptly tag your animal after loading it in your truck and driving it to the cleaning station. You can not trust the game warden to understand you forgot to put an ink pen in your back pack or that you have a zip tie in camp and will attach the tag there.

The stories are scattered all through this thread. You would be foolish to trust the gamewarden to ever give a warning or allow any kind of reasonable leniency. Have the pen on you ready to fill out the tag where the game crashes or you should expect to be fined.

AMEN! That is what he did, you just happened to be on the wrong end of this deal.

Comment

Yes they are and as such they are held in high regard. We as bowhunters claim to be the most ethical and law abiding sportsmen on the planet. As such, we ALL need to live up to such a claim.
          I want to go on record and say I don't claim either of the above. I TRY to be the most ethical and law abiding person that I can. Claiming that you are either would be setting yourself up for failure.

Comment

x2 Dustin

Comment

I may have missed this, why did the DPS officer call GW? Just routine or does he know game laws and new somthing was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
                Semantics... Fish
                Agreed but let's also agree the trust should lie with the hunter to know the game laws 100% of the time and to abide by them 100% of the time or he/she should expect to pay the consequences. Trusting the GW will do his job will be what I do from this point forward.

Comment

SIGH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for helping to make my point. All you keep saying is you hope the GW forgives you for not abiding by the game laws when you get caught. Sorry, it didn't work out that way for you. This has ZERO to do with trust in a GW.
                  LOL

I didn't say anything remotely close to that!

I'd like people to be able to learn from my mistakes. Lets try and stick to the facts.

I have seen numerous people tag deer in camp. Do I consider them outlaws? Do you?

I broke the law and I will pay whatever the judge tells me to. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
                    Semantics... Fish

I do everything right a 100 times and then 1 time I forget. Murphy's law says that is when I will be checked. Should I trust (have faith) that the GW will realize there was no intent to break the rules, see that I am a law abiding citizen (CCL) and use his discretion to issue a warning?

Why have the ability to issue warnings if they are not going to. Maybe this ability should be taken away, because if there was ever a case to use it, this was it.
                    I don't believe you should have faith that the GW will realize your intent. The back of the license log is a WELL publicized law that has been in place for 5 years now. They gave a gazillion warnings the 1st two years (I got one), if you can't handle that by now....you deserve a ticket! The log was put there for the benefit of the hunter because those of us who hunt in two different 1 buck counties whined because we couldn't shoot a buck in both. It's on us to go through the proper channels now. Could he have used his own discretion.....YES, but he is not obligated.

On the other ticket, YES.....I think discretion should have been used. But the GW is certainly not obligated to use it. I don't see where that is a matter of trust or good faith. I TRUST that LEOs will follow their rules/laws, and they TRUST that I will as well. If they do not, I have a gripe. If I do not, they can write me a ticket.

These are just my opinions....

Comment

Agreed but let's also agree the trust should lie with the hunter to know the game laws 100% of the time and to abide by them 100% of the time or he/she should expect to pay the consequences. Trusting the GW will do his job will be what I do from this point forward.
                      Ok, he said it in less words than me. lol

Comment

Congrats on the doe leggett. this is one of my first posts on this site, so i won't get into the ridiculous claims people are making against your statements. i do appreciate the information about the tags though. i will make sure to be extra careful next time i'm hunting in Texas. you are always more than welcome to come hunt up in AR-kansas at my place.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                          LOL

I didn't say anything remotely close to that!
                          Well, I did just get some new glasses so I better go have them checked!

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                          I want to go on record and say I don't claim either of the above. I TRY to be the most ethical and law abiding person that I can. Claiming that you are either would be setting yourself up for failure.
                          I'll second that proclamation and follow up by saying I most certainly don't "claim" to be perfect.

Comment

Jeff lets twist the scenario a little bit. Say at one of your kid’s fishing derbies that you host each year (thanks for what you do for the kids by the way) a volunteer helps a youngster reel in a big fish. The GW comes by, visits, and maybe even takes a picture with the smiling youngster. Next the GW asks to see the volunteers fishing license. Said volunteer pulls it out and it is expired. GW smiles and writes him a ticket. Good place for a warning? Obviously the volunteer is a good person, helping the kids out and all. Obviously there was no intent to break the law. An honest mistake. Shouldn’t we as a collective group trust the LEO to use discretion in the case?

Comment

Something else that the rest of us (not Michael and Stephen) may not be able to grasp, is the over-all tone of the scene.

It seems as though things were all "happy go-lucky", taking pics, BSing with the trooper, get a quick warning and call Ben to look for the license plate......etc. Then the game wardens show up and it's more good times and stories, "Be sure to tell all your bowhunter friends to read the regs", and what have ya......then all of a sudden, BOOM...."Sign here please, press hard, you're going through 4 copies......" and Leggy's wallet is several hundred lighter!

I can also see where that would change my tune A LITTLE....had I been there.

Comment

Well as for me and mine....

I would not have engaged said DPS officer in a "getting to know you" manner. I would have explained that the plate must have gotten knocked off and taken the ticket for the trailer not having a plate and mosey'd on down the road.

Whoever here suggests that Michael and Legdog are shady, for "changing the way they deal with the law dog" in the future,.......are playing some monday morning quarterback somethin' awful. It is not the responsibility of the hunter to provide answers to questions that are not asked by a game warden or DPS officer for that matter and said hunter should in no way be looked down upon past a crooked little nose.

Perfect example: Game warden stops you on the lake checks fire extinguisher, license, registration, and whether you been drinkin' like Jason Boland 5 years ago....then says all good have a nice day and be safe. It IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to say hey Bossman you want to count our life jackets.
                                Laws were broken, tickets written, fines will be paid, lessons learned, but the way they choose to handle the next time they encounter a GW is really nunya bidness in my opinion as long as they are respectful and answer the questions asked

Comment

Working...
                                X