Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double L View Post
    Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.
    That's a good point Larry. It might not be good for the tag, but it is the law... It's never been a problem for any of my deer. I put my meat in plastic bags and keep all water possible off of it. I dump the ice in the chest and on the bag covered meat. The tags don't get wet pretty much.

Comment

hmmm

Originally posted by Mary View Post
      The doe's head was in the truck "tagged".
      It is my hope that the judge who reviews this case will be able to see that bad intentions had absolutely no part to play in any of this.
      I think the law changes in the last legislative session took the judge out of the equation on the fines. I know for a fact, from being in the insurance business, that judge may no longer reduce or waive a fine for "failure to provide proof of financial responsibility and or expired inspection/registration regardless of circumstance".

The new laws makes it against the law for the Judge to change the fine amount. Ya'll may want to check into it

Comment

hmmm

And as someone said earlier, I would ask for deferred adjudication
        Last edited by Ducksmith; 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by kramer View Post
          Where does this feeling of entitlement and discretion come from.
          Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.

As far as bashing the GW, I've not really seen that as much as wondering if the punishment fit this particular crime.

You could go as far as saying the GW's in question violated your number 1 rule. A timeout may be in order

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
            Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.

As far as bashing the GW, I've not really seen that as much as wondering if the punishment fit this particular crime.

You could go as far as saying the GW's in question violated your number 1 rule. A timeout may be in order
            And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.

As far as the treat people as you want to be treated, many have stated here they will now cold shoulder the game warden and keep it businesslike. No worries, thats your choice, but expect the same businesslike demeanor in return, but dont come back on here and say the GW in such-and-such county is rude and unfriendly. Its just like the swine flu scares. The people who screamed about school being let out and having to spend the week with their kids would be the first ones in line to hire an attorney if the school district DIDNT shut down.

Comment

And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.
              Not who, WHAT. I would hope the body of one's life would count more than one honest mistake. Oh well call me naive.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tugowar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	23902876

Wow! Some serious tug o' war going on here...

In the end he got the tickets, however it might have made a stronger, and more positive impression on both the hunter and the hunters he came in contact with (in this case, thousands!) had he have given him a warning rather than a citation.

I look at it like we are both in this game together, we should spend more time working with and learning from Game Wardens rather than fearing them and being placed in a position of subordinance.

As far as the tag ticket goes, he was out of regulation and did need to log it on his tags, however I think it is a little rough to slam him with a ticket over it when he could be shown the right way and given the guidance needed to comply in the future.

What really gets me here is the ticket for the deboning, when he was only passing on technique to a woman wanting to learn how to better process her own game. I feel like being ticketed for that is the exact opposite of what should have been done. He didn't know it was illegal and did it for educational purpose. If that is how our system works I think it is a little backwards.

Either way, my sticker is on the left and will remain there...sorry this had to happen to one of the good guys.

Also as a side note, Legdog, did you happen to steal one of Kramer's girlfriends at some point in your life?
                Last edited by Cameron; 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Sorry you got a ticket-as a LE Officer myself, handing out tickets was not the best part of my job. Yes I would rather be out catching "real" bad guys (bank robbers, rapists, child molesters) but I had a requirement that I issue citations for class C violations. I did it because it was my job-same as these GW's. I think Leg has taken responsibility and said he was in the wrong, and I respect him for that. Saying that he should have gotten a break because he is a good guy does not hold water. I have been in the wrong before-got tickets-paid a fine and moved on. We should learn from our mistakes, which I think has occurred here.

There was an article in Bowhunter Magazine several months back written by Curt Wells. He shot a moose that was undersized according to the regs. No one knew about it, yet he did the right thing and took the illegal moose to the check station and turned himself in. The GW apologized for having to write a citation, but did so because it was the law. Wrote a ticket even though Wells is a good guy, and could have just left the animal in the field and no one would have known about it. I think we can draw some parallels here.

Allthough I personally don't know the "boss" Michael, or Leg, they seem like great guys from what I have seen them post, and write. I understand being upset as no one likes getting a ticket. I have a little problem with the GW's being bashed by some of us for doing their job (Not Mike or Leg-others). There are bad cops out there no doubt. There are cops that get off to writing tickets like they are major crimes. GW's have a tough job as do all LE's. I don't think from what I have read that these two GW's were being malicious, just doing thier jobs. I'm not sure I would have given 2 citations under the circumstances, but I was not there.

Leg-as stated above, plead no contest, ask for deferred so this won't ultimately go on any record, and beg for leniency from the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                    [ATTACH]124768[/ATTACH]

Wow! Some serious tug o' war going on here...

In the end he got the tickets, however it might have made a stronger, and more positive impression on both the hunter and the hunters he came in contact with (in this case, thousands!) had he have given him a warning rather than a citation.

I look at it like we are both in this game together, we should spend more time working with and learning from Game Wardens rather than fearing them and being placed in a position of subordinance.

As far as the tag ticket goes, he was out of regulation and did need to log it on his tags, however I think it is a little rough to slam him with a ticket over it when he could be shown the right way and given the guidance needed to comply in the future.

What really gets me here is the ticket for the deboning, when he was only passing on technique to a woman wanting to learn how to better process her own game. I feel like being ticketed for that is the exact opposite of what should have been done. He didn't know it was illegal and did it for educational purpose. If that is how our system works I think it is a little backwards.

Either way, my sticker is on the left and will remain there...sorry this had to happen to one of the good guys.

Also as a side note, Legdog, did you happen to steal one of Kramer's girlfriends at some point in your life?
                    I have never once personally attacked Legdog. I am respoding to the people who have come after that say the GW's have a hard job and are there to protect us, BUT. I am also saying if you break a law, expect a ticket, people, its really pretty simple.

In your thread you argue that the proper way to handle the non-filling of the log would be to give a warning and show him how to do it. Well thats just not right, not to Legdog or to the thousands of others who have been issued a citation for that. When you purchase a hunting license, you say to the state, I know the game laws and agree to abide by them.

Comment

In your thread you argue that the proper way to handle the non-filling of the log would be to give a warning and show him how to do it. Well thats just not right, not to Legdog or to the thousands of others who have been issued a citation for that. When you purchase a hunting license, you say to the state, I know the game laws and agree to abide by them.
                      People forget, I can personally remember when a log wasn't even required, it's a fairly new thing and it's easy to forget to do that in the heat of the moment. Let's fine him a hundred dollars and make an example out of him because he forgot. Bottome line, he wasn't trying to decieve the State. I think we are letting them in our back pocket too much. I understand him giving him the ticket, and I can't disagree with it because it's the law, but I do think it would have been more beneficial for both the hunter and the officer had he taken the time to educate him, rather than write him a ticket. In these economic times you have to ask yourself is it really worth it?

It would have put the game wardens in a whole different light had they have been more educationally determined rather than driven by quotas. Just my opinion though.

Comment

most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
                          Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys.

Yes they are and as such they are held in high regard. We as bowhunters claim to be the most ethical and law abiding sportsmen on the planet. As such, we ALL need to live up to such a claim.

I haven't lost respect for Michael or Steven because of this thread and I certainly haven't lost respect for our Texas State Game Wardens. They were doing their job. It's just that simple.

If Mary had asked me to show her how to de-bone a deer I would have in a heartbeat. If Mary had asked me to chew up a rock, I would have in a hearbeat. Honest mistake!

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                            most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!
                            Well said and so very true!! It's time to lock or whack this thread!!!!

Comment

Screw the tbh sticker. You have to get one of these- cost me a few hundred bucks for an add in the annual gw magazine! Maybe it will save me one day. Jk

Comment

I disagree with locking the thread. I think there's a valuable lesson here. The banter has been level headed, respectful and educational. I wish all TBH threads had content like this one does. JMO!!

Comment

Working...
                                X