How to get Started in 3-d?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get Started in 3-d?

Can you guys please explain the classes and rules for each class. Also, I was wondering how you get scored? 1 arrow/target (10 pnt ring)?

I am thinking of trying some 3-d shooting.

Try this website...

Originally posted by TEAM SHARK View Post
    Can you guys please explain the classes and rules for each class. Also, I was wondering how you get scored? 1 arrow/target (10 pnt ring)?

I am thinking of trying some 3-d shooting.
    Team Shark,

A lot of the clubs here in Texas are now running ASA rules, classes and scoring. Check out the ASA rules website -- http://www.asaarchery.com/09_Pro-Am_Rules.pdf
    From your sig block, that bow would be in either the Hunter or Bow Novice class (depending on your yardage comfort level).

You'll find there are classes for all age groups and many different equipment types.

Where are you located? There is probably someone on here that is close by and can get you going in the right direction at a local club.

I know that isn't a straight answer however if you have any further questions shoot me a PM or post it up. A ton of knowledge here to answer anything.

Best of luck,

Comment

What are rules or limits for the hunter class? I noticed that the speed limit is 280 for all the classes. I guess I have to crank my bow down? I shoot 70 lb. You think I will have to go down to 60 lb to meet the limit. How do they check this at the shoots? I live in North Dallas.

Comment

Hunter Class...

What are rules or limits for the hunter class? I noticed that the speed limit is 280 for all the classes. I guess I have to crank my bow down? I shoot 70 lb. You think I will have to go down to 60 lb to meet the limit. How do they check this at the shoots? I live in North Dallas.
        Hunter Class is basically a hunting setup with a few allowable extras...

Any Release may be used.

Fixed pins with magnification allowed. (You can have a lens on your sight but with fixed pins no sight adjustments may be made once on the course)

Stabilizer Rule - A front stabilizer (or system including quick releases and/or enhancers) may be used, but may not exceed twelve inches (12”) in total length from the tip of the stabilizer (or system) to the point of attachment on the front of the riser provided by the manufacturer.

A rear stabilizer or counter balance weight system may be used with a maximum of two extensions, but may not extend more than six inches (6”) in length as measured from either: (1) the point of attachment on the rear of the riser provided by the manufacturer, or (2) if there is no rear point of attachment the system may not extend more than six inches (6”) beyond the back of the grip. (String stoppers/suppressors are not considered rear stabs/counterweights)

40 yards max distance with a 280 feet/second speed limit (3% margin of error for varying chronos makes it 289fps = disqualification) I like to keep mine around 279 just to be safe. Speed is measured using a standard chronograph.

What you need to do to your bow (speed wise) has too many variables (i.e arrow weight, draw length, bow efficiency). Best bet would be to call your nearest shop, tell them what your doing, ask if they have a chrono you can experiment with and go shoot a few while making some adjustments. See what it is doing right now, you may not be that far off.

Irving and Mesquite have great clubs with a lot of members. In fact, Mesquite is having a Texas ASA State Qualifier Mar 28-29 - even if you just come shoot a fun round it will be a great experience.

Mesquite's website -- http://mesquitearchery.org/live/

Irving's website -- http://www.ibatx.org/

Best of luck,

Comment

At Salt Grass we shoot LSBA rules. We have the rules and classes posted on our website www.saltgrass.org The best thing to do is to let the registration person know you are new to 3-D and ask if they can hook you up with an experienced 3-D shooter who can help get you acclimated. Most 3-D shooters I know are only too happy to assist a newbie. Your post didn't say what part of Texas you are in. Salt Grass is between Houston and Galveston off I-45, if you are anywhere near that area. We are having a shoot on the 28th & 29th.
          Last edited by Artemis; 03-20-2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Hunter Class will also depend on the club also.

At MCAC we don't allow ANY magnification in the Hunter Class. We don't have many tournament shooters, just hunters, that make up that class.

Comment

Where are you located? Team Shark

Comment

Shark, look at this list. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=70604

If you go to just a club shoot and not a qualifier or any ASA shoot, you don't have to worry about speed. Just show up and someone will help ya out brother. If your not comfortable at 40yds, just sign up for fun and move up to where you are comfortable. You just will not be eligible for prizes. Once you get started, you will be really glad you did. Lot of fun and good for your shooting skills.

Comment

I live in North Dallas.
                  He is from the North Dallas Area...

Comment

Team Shark, bring bino's and a few arrows. The scoring will be easy once you see a few targets. Think of scoring as Body=5, large circle=8, small circle=10 and tiny circle=12. The TexasASAFederation.com site will give you an idea of how people have been scoring at the qualifiers.

I had never picked up a bow until January of this year. I have shot in 6 tourneys now...I am hooked! It is a good time and you will get to meet a lot of folks who love to shoot.

Comment

[ATTACH]88335[/ATTACH]
                      Here is ASA scoring. This year we are shooting HIGH 12 on known distance and LOW 12 on unknown. 14 is always in play.Anywhere else on the animal is a 5
                      Last edited by huntinpool; 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

You're in luck. There is a 3-D shoot tomorrow night at Texins Archery Club roughly the intersection of 635 and 75. See the link for details about the shoot. http://dallasarchery.com/index.php?a...m44838f305227c

also, this thread. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=texins
                        Get in touch with rgb, he organizes the league.

Comment

Working...
                        X