ASA Scoring Question!! Mike Smith Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASA Scoring Question!! Mike Smith Please

I need some information on the ASA rules how to score and arrow that has hit close to the scoring line or ring. I am not talking about the connector line between the lower 12 and the 10 ring

If the arrow is pulling the line but not touching the line does the higher score count or does the lower score count.

(If you say the higher score counts please explain to me how far from the scoring line an arrow can actually be, 1/8, 1/4 inch before the distance is to great to be called a pulled line) ?

Or does the arrow shaft have to actually cut or touch the line to be scored at the higher value? This is a question I would like to know how to respond to for future reference.

Regards, Mudbone

If there is meat between the arrow and line, lower score.

Comment

I think it needs to touch. That is how I call them and I shoot alot of 3d. Hopefully Mike will chime in shortly.

Chris

Comment

Arrow must touch line to receive higher score. You can pull a line 1/2" but if its not touching , it is lower score.

Pulling is not touching, and touching is required to get higher score

Comment

OK, I will ask. What is pulling a line? I have been shooting 3D off and on for many, many, years and I have never heard this term.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
            OK, I will ask. What is pulling a line? I have been shooting 3D off and on for many, many, years and I have never heard this term.
            With some of the softer foam you can hit clearly out of the higher scoring ring yet the friction cause by the arrow will pull the line over to the arrow and sometimes it will actually touch. Fat arrows tend to pull the line when hitting near them. Just because an arrow pulls a line it does not get the higher score , arrow still must touch or cut to get higher score. Rhinehart targets were real bad about lines getting pulled due to the softer material. The new cores in McKenzies are softer and it occasionally happens on them.

We used to cover this in safety meetings at the ASA shoots when clubs were using rhinehart targets

Comment

If it is within a shaft diameter of ANY scoring ring, I always mark mine for the higher score. I thought everyone did that...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                If it is within a shaft diameter of ANY scoring ring, I always mark mine for the higher score. I thought everyone did that...
                No wonder you never shoot with me!!

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                  No wonder you never shoot with me!!
                  It isn't because I don't want to! And for the right price, it can work for you too!

Comment

Pistol should answer this - she's the rules expert.

But, the rule clearly states the arrow must cut the line - even barely cut, which most people would call "touch" the line. Pulling a line does not count.

Comment

Pulling isn't cutting. As everyone else has said, the arrow shaft must cut the line.

Think of it like a paper target. Paper won't 'pull'. It either cuts or it doesn't. Simple.

Comment

Real simple if the arrow pulls the line and touches the arrow its the higher score. If the arrow pulls the line but still doesn't touch the arrow then its the lower score. I know there are times when if the arrow didn't pull the foam it would be clearly out but if the line is pulled into the arrow where what I call disappearing into the arrow shaft then its the higher score.

Comment

Eldon,

I just answered your PM before I saw this. I have been very busy at work, running a indoor league on Thursday night and other ASA stuff. I will copy and paste my answer here.

Eldon,

The arrow must touch the outside of the scoring ring. If it "pulls" the outside edge of the ring and touches it counts for the higher score. If it "pulls" and does not touch the ring it does not count for the higher score. If there is any gap, meat or whatever you want to call it between the arrow and the outside edge of the scoring ring whether it pulls the ring or not it will not count for the higher score.

There is no verbage in the ASA rules that says anything about pulling a line. "Pulling the Line" is a term that has been made up by shooters, but if the arrow pulls the line and touches its good. If the arrow pulls the line and does not touch it counts for the lower score.

The ASA rules read under Scoring Rules Section C.

"All arrows must remain in the target until all arrows are scored. The arrow shaft must be touching a portion or the next highest scoring line to be scored for the higher value. All scoring shall be done with the naked eye without the aid of magnification with the exception of prescription glasses or contacts. The status of any doubtfull arrows must be determined before drawing any arrow from the target. The score is based on the status of the arrow while all other arrows remain in the target. Arrows may not be removed from the target until a scoring judgement has been made and no changes may be made to the score after the removal of any arrow."

Dont let anyone BS you about simply pulling a line toward the arrow and it should count. It has to touch whether it has pulled the line or not.

Mike
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Pistol should answer this - she's the rules expert.

But, the rule clearly states the arrow must cut the line - even barely cut, which most people would call "touch" the line. Pulling a line does not count.
                            Originally posted by kgredraider View Post
                            Pulling isn't cutting. As everyone else has said, the arrow shaft must cut the line.

Think of it like a paper target. Paper won't 'pull'. It either cuts or it doesn't. Simple.
                            Ok. Since I answered Eldon I read the other posts. Twice I have seen the term "cut the line". Again there is no verbage in the ASA rules that says "cut the the line".

The verbage in the rules says "touch the line" and that is the way the rule should be administered and enforced.

Here is what I have found .....some of the shooters know some of the rules....kinda....but NONE or very very few of them know all the rules.....except me.

Every shoot I have shooters quoting me outdated IBO rules for ASA events. I also have shooters quoting me what they think the rules are but most times they are wrong. You can use the rules to your advantage, but if you dont know the rules you can get taken advantage of....and it happens at the state and national level. Knowing the rules can mean the difference between you winning or placing just as much as your shooting ability.

You wanna be like me??? Then read the rules....all of them. Then read them again....all of them. Then read them one more time....all of them. Then always keep a current set in you chair or quiver. How many of you have done this and keep a set of 2013 rules in your chair or quiver ????

Ok then....thats what I thought. As Tracy would say "Get after it... Son of a Guns"
                            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Scoring!!

Originally posted by mudbone View Post
                              I need some information on the ASA rules how to score and arrow that has hit close to the scoring line or ring. I am not talking about the connector line between the lower 12 and the 10 ring

If the arrow is pulling the line but not touching the line does the higher score count or does the lower score count.

(If you say the higher score counts please explain to me how far from the scoring line an arrow can actually be, 1/8, 1/4 inch before the distance is to great to be called a pulled line) ?

Or does the arrow shaft have to actually cut or touch the line to be scored at the higher value? This is a question I would like to know how to respond to for future reference.

Regards, Mudbone
                              Mike,

Thank you for answering my question and I look forward to seeing you all at the Tyler shoot this weekend.

Regards, Mudbone

Comment

Working...
                              X