Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can Concho Valley increase the number of shooters at our ASA shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can Concho Valley increase the number of shooters at our ASA shoot?

Hello all shooters

Our club needs your advice on how we can improve the number of shooters at our ASA shoot.

This last weekend we had 50 shooters.

I believe we have a great course with good targets.

Concho Valley is the only club I believe that gives a free lunch to all shooters.

Help me with some ideas how we can improve our shoot

Thank you

Mark Barta
    President

Unfortunately your club is a victim of economics. It is the furthest west, and with the price of gas these days, it stands to reason that the majority of folks will stay closer to home IMO. There is NO WAY it could be caused by a lack of anything your club does for the shooters, or the course. From what I hear, you guys are top shelf in every aspect of hosting a shoot.

I wish I could have made it out there, but personal obligations stepped in the way.

Comment

Y'all have a great range! One of the best shoots I have been to. The hospitality is second to none. The free BBQ is awesome. Y'all do everything right! I hate that my daughter and I missed it this year on account of my eye problem. I will always be fond of your shoot because it was my daughter's first ASA and we met a lot of great people there.
      One problem you can't avoid is that you are so far west of the main area where most of the shooters live. On the other hand a lot of us have deer leases in that area, and if we could head out there during turkey season and hit your shoot too?............ It would be like killing two birds with one throw!

Comment

^^^^^^^

Comment

I don't know what archery shops are in San Angelo or nearby towns. The shops may already advertise the club pretty hard already locally. I've been there the last 3 yrs and it's been one of the top 3 places I've enjoyed shooting and hanging out with people. You guys did a GREAT!!! job on the course layout. It's was easy walking as usual, but you guys setup a course that wasn't long but very deceiving at times by taking the ground away and having the trails go around the brush and not straight to targets. I would love to see more shooters come out there so you guys could maybe feel rewarded more in some ways for the hard work you guys do to put on a great shoot and time. Thanks again for the free BBQ and drinks. It hit the spot right. Look forward to seeing you guys again next year.

Comment

Location is the one thing that comes to mind for me. From the sound of things y'all do everything else that one could possibly ask for in a good place to shoot.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else is saying. We had a great time and am lucky to live only an hour away. Will go next year and if yall have club shoot I'd like to go to a few as well if the timing worked out.

Comment

THANKS to all

Comment

I have noticed an overall decline in the number of shooters that are from the west tx. area.
                  There used to be 20+ shooters from the Abilene and brownwood area that made the shoots.

There are only 2 shoots that I will not miss and San Angelo is one if them. Hospitality is second to none and the range is always a challenge without just being long. I have some great archery friends there and enjoy this shoot and the hanging out very much.

Maybe if there was not a metroplex area shoot the same weekend it would help. If you have to share a weekend it might be better for it to be with a south tx club.

Comment

it was also the same weekend of the South Plains Archery club monthly shoot. We had 80 shooters Saturday, maybe everyone couldn't swing two in one weekend? I know that is why i couldn't make yalls shoot.

Comment

Tracy and I felt bad about the turnout at Concho Valley.

Not for Texas ASA, but for our friends at Concho Valley Archery Club.

The guys at Concho Valley put so much thought and care into their range set up. When you shoot Concho Valley you are guaranteed a wonderful 3D range that is challenging and fair. Their practice range is awesome as well.

As Todd mentioned above, their hospitality as tournament hosts is beyond compare. The serve free BBQ, Gatorade and soft drinks to all shooters on both days of the event. They have free donuts both mornings for the shooters. This is unheard of in this day and time.

We have a unique situation here in Texas. We have many more ASA qualifiers than any other state. The shooters have a lot of choices. We also have a huge state and long distances between host clubs. A great number of our shooters live in North Texas (DFW area), Northeast Texas, and we even have quite of few shooters that come in from Oklahoma and some from Arkansas. Concho Valley is located in San Angelo which is 4 hours from the metroplex and close to 7 hours from a lot of our Northeast Texas shooters. When I first started shooting 3D, close to 20 years ago, we never gave it a second thought to drive 4 to 6 hours to a shoot. Gas prices, hotel prices, food prices....the economy in general has changed that for most of us.

I told Mark yesterday that I would make sure they had a qualifier date for 2014 that was more conducive for better attendance. We will do our best to produce a turnout that matches the effort put forth by Concho Valley Archery Club.

Tracy and I want to thank Mark Barta, Stephen Sonnenburg, Bonnie Sonnenburg, Bobby Taylor, Carey Cleland, and Ricky Dixon and all the members at Concho Valley for all their work and dedication to put on a great shoot.
                      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I wanted to make this one , but time didn't allow.
                        Hope to make it next year.

Comment

You need to advertise in the Midland/Odessa area. The oilfield has everyone working crazy hours and a lot of guys just want to rest when home. We have a lot of shooters but we are so far removed from everyone that we dont hear about shoots.

I have taken our recently formed 4H team to Austin and Graham in the last month. We know we are going to have to travel but it would be much better to go to Angelo than Austin.

Comment

Mark, Pm me A good contact number...have some ideas...You have an Awesome Facebook page and it needs to be worked hard.............

Comment

I've heard nothing but good about your club and range, but you are 5 hours from me. Just like you most likely will not drive to our range for an ASA qualifer, we most likely will not drive to Concho Valley.

I would think San Angelo also has less bow shooters within 150 miles than say the Metroplex. The Metroplex will most likely draw the largest shoots from sheer population.

Keep at it - it will grow. I remember when BCAC started, we hosted a qualifer where 2 people showed up. We had 75 at our last one.

Also, a little perspective - most states' qualifiers average 50 shooters. Texas is unusual and the bar is very high.

Comment

Working...
                              X