Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

College archery teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College archery teams

We were kicking the idea around of starting an archery team here at SFA and had a good amount of interest. Are there many colleges in TX that compete in tournaments (specifically 3D)?

Most college team are FITA format and not 3d. But you can shoot compounds in FITA now, so a few folks do that. Look at TAMU's archery program and see what they do. And won't the school have to add it to the curriculum? Good luck getting it rolling.

Comment

We could even do it as an archery club so that there is a lot less school intervention. I guess what I am asking is if there are any colleges that shoot 3D.

Comment

Generally no. Not as an organized activity that I have ever seen.

Comment

Texas A&M has (or maybe had?) a 3D team as part of their archery club. They might be able to help you. Our archery club supported them for a few years, but they didn't call us for this year so I don't know what is going on.

Comment

my cousin shot at tamu back in the late 90's. they didn't use compounds then.

Comment

I am senior this year and will be going to SFA in fall of '12, so if I can help in anyway just let me know because I would love to shoot while at college.

Comment

Originally posted by blakemorgan311 View Post
                my cousin shot at tamu back in the late 90's. they didn't use compounds then.
                In the early 2000's, their varsity team did shoot compounds and recurves. The club still shoots compounds and recurves.

Comment

There Is more & more 3d at the college level theses days. They have a huge college 3d shoot back east somewhere that the Texas schools attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    In the early 2000's, their varsity team did shoot compounds and recurves. The club still shoots compounds and recurves.
                    maybe they did then. i'll have to quiz him when i see him. i remember shooting with him in his backyard with his competition bows and they were pretty cool to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Legs View Post
                      I am senior this year and will be going to SFA in fall of '12, so if I can help in anyway just let me know because I would love to shoot while at college.
                      Awesome, you a wildlife/forestry major?

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                        Awesome, you a wildlife/forestry major?
                        I'm not sure yet, I will be a wildlife major, or an engineer major.

Comment

Sippy I would gladly get you all the info you need. Send me your email and we can get this thing going if you are serious. There are some thing you would need to do through the school but i can help you through 99% of it. There is College 3D, ASA has a section for members of USCA (U.S. College Archery program) also USCA holds a college National shoot every year. I'm currently on the 3D board so i have almost all the answers about that (hopefully). Also i have been involved heavily in the past 3 years with the program here at A&M. We have also recently added a Bowhunter division to USCA so that even on the target round the shooters using pins and short stabilizers will not be competing directly against the archers with the target set-ups. f you are serious about getting a program going though let me know, besides starting the club there is also a lot of grant money new clubs can apply for and easily get to help buy targets, equipment and help pay for expenses to travel to shoots.

Comment

Its late and i have a test early, ill shoot you an email tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comment

Adam - what happened to y'all this year? Did you go and buy a 3D range for A&M?

Comment

Working...
                              X