ASA classes and requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASA classes and requirements

I am new to bow hunting after a 20 plus year vacation. I was wanting to know what the different ASA classes were and what were the requirements

Depending on your equipment will decide which class you will shoot. If you are shooting a hunting set up with less than a 12" stabilizer than you would be in Bow Novice or Hunter class. Max speed at ASA events are 280fps. With ASA there is not arrow restrictions in the hunter or bow novice class.

If you actually have a target set up with long stabilizer, adjustable scope and things of that nature you would be in open class.

Tell me about your set up and I can point you in the right direction as far as classes are concerned.

Comment

www.asaarchery.com click rules and scroll to classes defined pages 7 & 8. See what class your stuff fits in along with your age and there you go.

Comment

Todd is right, there are so many classes based on age, gender, and equipment that the asa website is the best place to get info. The other is to send Arrowsmith or Small Cat a PM with your phone number and have them call you.
        Stacey

Comment

What I have is the new Bear Legion #60 with a Trophy Ridge 5 pin site, TR wisper Biscit, what looks to be a 6 inch stabilizer. The speed is listed at 318 fps. It is what is called RTH (Readt to Hunt. I an a 61 year old male. It sounds like my bow would be Hunter class, but it is too fast.

Comment

You would need to shoot it through a chronograph to find out the speed you are shooting for sure

Comment

if it is advertised at 318 unless you have a long draw and light arrows i doubt you are over speed but you would have to use the chrono to find out for sure. most bows with common hunting arrows and 29" draw do good to hit the 290's with a 320 ibo speed and are usually closer to 270 depending on the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Topscout1 View Post
                What I have is the new Bear Legion #60 with a Trophy Ridge 5 pin site, TR wisper Biscit, what looks to be a 6 inch stabilizer. The speed is listed at 318 fps. It is what is called RTH (Readt to Hunt. I an a 61 year old male. It sounds like my bow would be Hunter class, but it is too fast.
                The bow speed ratings are based on 30" draw 70 lbs and a 350 gr arrow. You could expect to lose about 20-30 fps for the 10lbs off the weight. Then around 10 fps for every inch under 30" that you draw. Then around 4fps for every 10 gr that your arrows weighs over 350.
                If you build some arrows just for 3d and you draw 28-30" you should be able to get real close to speed limit and may have to turn the poundage down . If you are going to shoot the same arrows that you hunt with, you should be fine at your max weight.
                The best way to know for sure is to get to an ARCHERY shop near you and shoot a few shots through a chonograph.

Comment

Working...
                X