3D scheduling for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D scheduling for next year

BCAC is hosting officer elections and soon after that, we'll be putting together our 3D schedule for 2011. For over 20 years we've hosted our shoots on the second Sunday of every month, except for one year we went with the second Saturday.

I can't help but to notice the 2nd Sunday is about the most popular for Central Texas. Austin, Buffalo, Buffalo Field, Clifton, Waco, and Hill Top also have the 2nd Sunday.

This is just a thought (and it hurts ). I was thinking, if we moved to the 3rd Sunday, how many of you from the Austin, Waco, and Houston areas would be more likely to attend our shoots? I know it would free me up to attend at least one of y'alls throughout the year.

(btw - Starting in January 2011, BCAC is moving to all ASA classes, scoring, and rules. We are selling all of our non-McKenzie targets, too, to get all ASA targets.)

Clubs that only shoot on specific weekends make it very hard to set schedules. With tha ASA growing like it is. There are going to be around 18 qualifiers for 2011. When those are set , clubs that are near each other should meet and set a schedule that works around those shoots to get max attendance. This will require shooting on free weekends and not be set on shorting a certain weekend. It has worked very well in the metroplex, we try to set our club shoots after the Asa shoots are set , while a club rep from each club is present. It I nice to say " we shoot the 3rd weekend" but it will mean less shooters in the end because some of those will be on top of qualifiers. The good thing is Texas will be broken up a little more for 2011 and shooters can shoot their region and not have to travel over the whole state for a SOY award as in the past

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
      Clubs that only shoot on specific weekends make it very hard to set schedules. With tha ASA growing like it is. There are going to be around 18 qualifiers for 2011. When those are set , clubs that are near each other should meet and set a schedule that works around those shoots to get max attendance. This will require shooting on free weekends and not be set on shorting a certain weekend. It has worked very well in the metroplex, we try to set our club shoots after the Asa shoots are set , while a club rep from each club is present. It I nice to say " we shoot the 3rd weekend" but it will mean less shooters in the end because some of those will be on top of qualifiers. The good thing is Texas will be broken up a little more for 2011 and shooters can shoot their region and not have to travel over the whole state for a SOY award as in the past

sounds like a good idea..

Comment

Interesting. Less than 20% of our shooters are ASA members. Most just want to come out and shoot with friends and have a good time.

For many years the Brazos Valley clubs worked out schedules together - one club had the first and 5th weekends, one club had the 2nd, one club had the 3rd, and one club had the 4th weekend. Unfortunately, 3 of those clubs no longer exist, so we are looking at working schedules with clubs within 75-100 miles of Bryan.

We also want to be able to support these clubs. While I love ASA and wholeheartedly support them, I don't feel that our schedule should be dictated by the Texas ASA Federation schedule. If we did that, we would not have had any shoots from Feb through July. If we followed the Texas ASA, how would we also support other organizations such as LSBA, Texas A&M Archery, 4H, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts? While we try to respect ASA's qualifiers, our club's mission is to support and promote archery on all levels, especially youth events. I hate to say this, but ASA is not the only game in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Interesting. Less than 20% of our shooters are ASA members. Most just want to come out and shoot with friends and have a good time.

For many years the Brazos Valley clubs worked out schedules together - one club had the first and 5th weekends, one club had the 2nd, one club had the 3rd, and one club had the 4th weekend. Unfortunately, 3 of those clubs no longer exist, so we are looking at working schedules with clubs within 75-100 miles of Bryan.

We also want to be able to support these clubs. While I love ASA and wholeheartedly support them, I don't feel that our schedule should be dictated by the Texas ASA Federation schedule. If we did that, we would not have had any shoots from Feb through July. If we followed the Texas ASA, how would we also support other organizations such as LSBA, Texas A&M Archery, 4H, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts? While we try to respect ASA's qualifiers, our club's mission is to support and promote archery on all levels, especially youth events. I hate to say this, but ASA is not the only game in town.
          You were asking about the possibility of shooters from other areas coming to shoot at Bryan... if you are head to head with a qualifier then your odds of traveling shooters goes way down.. especially if the qualifier is equal driving time..

You can't please everyone... all you can do is try to please the ones with money to travel

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            I hate to say this, but ASA is not the only game in town.
            Nope, Just the best game in town.

Comment

huntinpool- the problem is there is an ASA qualifier nearly every weekend now. ASA may be the best game in town for you and I, but for a boy/girl scout wanting to learn how to shoot, an ASA qualifer is not.
              Texas A&M Archery club has the number 1 collegiate archery team in the nation and they need support too
              If it weren't for the LSBA, we would not have a month long archery only hunting season.

It is a complex problem with no simple solution, but I think Tracey may be on the right path to trying to schedule around those clubs that within 100 miles of hers. There are many clubs in the same situation.

Comment

I'm all for supporting every form of archery and especially anything related to Kids and archery. I think with Texas busting up to 3 -4 regions next year will releave some of the scheduling problems we have had. With only 6 shoots in a region it will be much easier to set club and other orgs shoots. The Buffer zone is something that the ASA clubs for 2011 will need to discuss, agree, and enforce for sure. If they don't want to abide then they should opt to not host an ASA shoot. Every organization claims to be doing something good for somebody.

Comment

yep, you are right

Comment

Working...
                  X