Hunter Class w/scope or lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunter Class w/scope or lens

What is the reasoning behind the usage of scope or lens in the Hunter class.

Hunter class should be hunting equipment only.

And for the record I am not switching from trad. Just asking a question.

I hear ya!

Comment

I heard you were switching to Limited... the best of both worlds.

Comment

I dont know??? Ive never used a lens for hunting...seems like it would fog up in the cold. I did shoot with a gentleman in hunter class, he used a lens.
        Last edited by rainbow trout; 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Because it is shooting at targets and not animals. the lens magnifies the target and not the pins, so you can be more precise with aiming points. I shot hunter class with a lens in my hunting sight a few years back. If you are not, you are making this 3D game harder than it has to be. JMO

Comment

I too have wondered that. It seems like physical advantage over shooters without that equipment. Anybody else shooting pins has no advantage over someone else shooting pins no matter the cost of the sight, but add a lens and there is a clear advantage(pun intend). I now have an adjustable single pin sight that will put me out of hunter class but even that doesn't seem like as big an advantage as a lens. I still have to judge the distance correctly so it doesn't seem that much different than shooting multiple pins.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post

We have to remember that although 3D is great practice for hunting it is a game. A very competitive target archery game that involves shooting at small scoring rings. ASA has allowed magnification in Hunter class for as long as I have been involved. You do not have to use a lens....just as you do not have to use a lens in the Open classes. I know many Hunter class shooters that choose not to use a lens and I know several Open class shooters that choose not to use a lens.

Some consider a lens an advantage....some do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                We have to remember that although 3D is great practice for hunting it is a game. A very competitive target archery game that involves shooting at small scoring rings. ASA has allowed magnification in Hunter class for as long as I have been involved. You do not have to use a lens....just as you do not have to use a lens in the Open classes. I know many Hunter class shooters that choose not to use a lens and I know several Open class shooters that choose not to use a lens.

Some consider a lens an advantage....some do not.
                For many, a lens in the conditions at the Classic, was a disadvantage.

Comment

I didn't know that was even an option. At CVAA you are NOT allowed any of that equipment. We are fixed pins, up to 12" stabilizer, and thats it.

Comment

san Angelo, that is until an ASA qualifier is shot at your range. Then the ASA rules are what generally get used.

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                      For many, a lens in the conditions at the Classic, was a disadvantage.
                      Man ain't that the truth. Saturday was the darkest shooting conditions that I have ever experienced at a Pro/Am. I let down 3 times on a 42 yard grazing deer without ever finding the animal thru my scope. I finally found what I thought was the front leg on my fourth draw and then discovered it was a tree. Took my lens and clarifier out for few shots...put it back in for a few shots. It was very frustrating. Shot my worst ASA Pro/Am round ever Saturday. I was expecting worse lighting on Sunday since we were starting 30 minutes earlier (7:30 am) but to my surprise I could see much better Sunday morning. Shot 191 Sunday.

I would much rather brave the heat and shoot at Noon on Saturday and 8:00 am on Sunday.....and be able to SEE than shoot early and GUESS at my aiming point. The tree canopy at W. Monroe is the densest that I have ever experienced. Very tough lighting conditions.

Comment

Anything you put on your bow and hunt with is hunting equipment. Some choose a scope with a lens, some an adjustable sight without a lens. Pins with or without lense are still hunting equipment. I have hunted for many years with my Target sight and lens , locked down on 20 yds. With the lens in early morning and late evening you will not be able to see as clearly as without it. To think that it is not fair to use a lens in a shoot that allows it or to say they have an advantage is wrong. I had my butt kicked for years by someone who does not use a lens back when we shot 50yd max. I guess next , someone will say it not fair to use back tension when they only use a trigger.

Comment

Todd a release is a release.

Comment

Leave it to 2050z to stir the pot with a traditional stick!

I personally have seen more falter than shoot well with them unless they are in open terrain.

With that said, my eyes aren't what they used to be!

Comment

Todd a release is a release.
                              With what I am struggling with, Back tension and a string loop on my recurve is what I need.
                              Every Archery organization has their rules, most are fairly simple and common. ASA allows a lens in Hunter, IBO requires screw in points and has fletching guidelines. Some have a speed limit and some limit the number of pins. Most hunters should set their bows up the way they plan on hunting. If it doesn't meet the rules for a particular shoot, pay to shoot a fun round and save a little $ and get some good practice. Every hunting sight I have ever had has been a single pin, adjustable sight. This forced me to shoot in the OPEN class from the fist shoot I attended until I went all TRAD. last year. I evolved to a scope and long stabilizer , 4x lens, v-bars, and much more as my skill and motivation to win increased.
                              The main thing is to HAVE FUN SHOOTING, when your having fun and shooting with friends your scores will be better and your hunting skills will be greatly improved due to confidence in your shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X