Practice routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice routine

With ASA Classic coming up this weekend what is your practice routine?

Does it change or do you just continue with the same routine?

How's your mental focus?

Not a comp. shooter but if I am going to a 3-d shoot or hunting, I always practice the same..... 10-50 arrows a session.

Comment

i always practice the same why change a week before a big shoot? i just get it in my head that im gonna win and i dont let that out until the tourney is over!

Comment

I practice the same. Most people are surprised I don't usually see a 3D target until I arrive at a shoot. I spend 1- 2 days a week shooting indoor 20 yard spots (60 arrows), working on form and aim. This also keeps my strength up. I shoot outdoors 1-2 days a week out to 50 yard (bag targets). And I practice distance judging every day. Our practice range 3D targets are so torn up it is hard to practice on them. Mostly I use them for distance juding one day a week.

Comment

I use same routine as for any shoot.

I typically shoot every day, either at my back yard bag, our club range or a friend's range.

I shoot 6-8 arrows just to wake up my brain for sight alignment, get my finger "warmed up", and "rehearse" my shot routine.

If I'm at the range, I pick random distances, and judge the target first make a shot, then range it, with a follow up... over time it helps me determine what my good and bad tendencies are for misjudging. And helps me develop a "fail safe" sight setting... harder to explain.

I try not to shoot too far past fatigue...just builds bad shot habits.

I also spend a good amount of time shooting longer distances, 50, 60 & 70 yards... forces me to concentrate on form: aiming and shot follow through. Then try to carry that same sequence over to the shorter shots.

In the past, the short "chip shots" seemed to give me the most trouble, because I would rush them, peak, anticipate etc. Now, I use the same EXACT routine for every shot, simply through repetition and muscle memory.

And like a good friend tells me all the time...

"Focus on the process, not the result."(thanks Mike)

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
            I use same routine as for any shoot.

I typically shoot every day, either at my back yard bag, our club range or a friend's range.

I shoot 6-8 arrows just to wake up my brain for sight alignment, get my finger "warmed up", and "rehearse" my shot routine.

If I'm at the range, I pick random distances, and judge the target first make a shot, then range it, with a follow up... over time it helps me determine what my good and bad tendencies are for misjudging. And helps me develop a "fail safe" sight setting... harder to explain.

I try not to shoot too far past fatigue...just builds bad shot habits.

I also spend a good amount of time shooting longer distances, 50, 60 & 70 yards... forces me to concentrate on form: aiming and shot follow through. Then try to carry that same sequence over to the shorter shots.

In the past, the short "chip shots" seemed to give me the most trouble, because I would rush them, peak, anticipate etc. Now, I use the same EXACT routine for every shot, simply through repetition and muscle memory.

And like a good friend tells me all the time...

"Focus on the process, not the result."(thanks Mike)
            Very Good. Thanks for the Advice.

Comment

Working...
            X