Well spit, I'm new around here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well spit, I'm new around here

Wish I'd found you guys about a year ago, when I started shooting again.

Was out of archery for many years due to all of the prior commitments I was taking care of, you know I.E. U.S. Army, Wife, Kids and making sure we would survive post Military life, etc. etc.

Well I'm now shooting again and trying to shoot every afternoon after work. A friend gave me a Hoyt, Raider (age unknown, late 80's to early 90's I think) and got me shooting again while I was trying to figure out if I was capable of slinging arrows still after all of these years.

Well through great fortune I've also acquired a lot newer Hoyt Protect w/LXPro limbs that is helping me a great deal. I'm learning that I still like shooting alot.

Now to my point. When I returned from Panama I was able to shoot on a field course in Columbus, Georgia right outside of post with a friend in the service who had a Bear compound bow. We did that a couple of times and it sure was fun.

Now days I understand that Field Archery is not as prominent as it once was and that 3-D is the going game. Well I've never shot any 3-D at all. My oldest Son has up in Deep East Texas as he puts it but I haven't.

I'm currently shooting fingers and a 3-pin sight with peep on the string. Can and old stink like me shoot 3-D with this setup and maybe compete in some form or fastion?

In unknown territory here, and could use a lot of help navigating.

Bulletpusher55

I have only been to 4 3d shoots. My son "8" and i started shooting in feb. we have a blast there is no pressure at the places we have been'sept what he puts on himself" just keep eye on this form and find one you would like to go to lot of people eager to help you out "atleast at the ones we have been to"

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go to the MCAC in Willis tomorrow if I can talk my better half into it and take a look at the action it they will let me. They are not far and I've been meaning to go look and see what all of the fun is like.

My problem is other than knowing that your shooting at animal shaped targets I know virtually nothing about 3-D it self, i.e. rules, requirements and equipment requirements.

Would rather not go in blind to whats needed.

Bulletpusher

Comment

They have classes for finger shooters. Sounds like you might be a candidate for limited. Bring binos to see the scoring rings. They go over scoring before the shoots. It is nothing. You'll be fine.

Comment

Oh yeah and welcome to the green screen. If you ever get up around Dallas way Texins Archery club has a feild range. Pm me if you make it up here i'll take you over there.

Comment

Thanks to everyone guess I will just have to go take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulletpusher55 View Post
              Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go to the MCAC in Willis tomorrow if I can talk my better half into it and take a look at the action it they will let me. They are not far and I've been meaning to go look and see what all of the fun is like.

My problem is other than knowing that your shooting at animal shaped targets I know virtually nothing about 3-D it self, i.e. rules, requirements and equipment requirements.

Would rather not go in blind to whats needed.

Bulletpusher
              When you go to Montgomery County talk to Zach Bonner. He will get you started out right as far as scoring, rules, etc.

Welcome to TBH.com and welcome back to archery.

Were you shooting at the Uchee Creek Archery Club when you were in the service ???

Comment

good luck

Comment

Interesting screen name. 55

Comment

welcome

Comment

Working...
                    X