Scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scores?

I posted this as a comment to another thread. Just wanted to see what folks thought.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. Don't get me wrong I enjoy looking at the scores as much as the next guy. Once you have shot in a few shoots you pretty much know what score is going to take a class, and you know your score. So why is it important to see the scores in a timely manner? Again I look through the scores just to see how fellow shooters did. I know my name is not going to be at the top before I ever even look. Just wondering why it is important to others, I know why I look.

Yeah i like to see them posted too. My son is 8 and he always ask how did we do or how many kids did I shoot against etc. Im last but he is pretty good.

Comment

I look because I know I did win so I did not hang around to find out who did but would still like to compare.

Comment

Lots of people shoot on Saturday and they want to see how they did. I want to see them so I can see how I did compared to some of my friends and rivals. SOY standings are always changing with being able to drop lower scores and replace with Higher ones. I always keep track of everyone in my classes SOY scores so I know right where I stand. I like to know that before the next shoot so I can detemine whether to shoot safe or go for it a little more .

Comment

Tracy and I have been in Houston since yesterday. No time for internet. Working hard with Archery Trade Assoc and ASA to get a archery program started in 58 Houston recreation centers. This is a huge deal for youth archery in Southeast Texas. The scores have not been sent to us yet. I will get on it and find out what is going on.

Comment

I understand, especially for the kids, that they want to see the scores and how they ranked. Personally, I am there before it all starts and still there cleaning up after it ends. So I already know how I ranked.

What I don't understand are the people who have nothing better to do with their life than to bash an archery club for not getting scores up in a "timely manner". Of course those same people don't volunteer to do it themselves. They don't seem to understand that those who do the work are VOLUNTEERS with lives. Those in charge of posting scores also have kids, work, laundry, dinner, family's, etc...

There are some people who work and volunteer...and there are those who sit behind a computer and complain 24 hours per day.

If you're not happy with the way a volunteer organization is run...ask if you can help

Comment

Originally posted by Fingershooter View Post
              I posted this as a comment to another thread. Just wanted to see what folks thought.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. Don't get me wrong I enjoy looking at the scores as much as the next guy. Once you have shot in a few shoots you pretty much know what score is going to take a class, and you know your score. So why is it important to see the scores in a timely manner? Again I look through the scores just to see how fellow shooters did. I know my name is not going to be at the top before I ever even look. Just wondering why it is important to others, I know why I look.
              I don't think that is true at all. I have seen 295 win hunter class and 305 get third. I like to see just how bad the other guys beat me. Some get all pissy when you don't get scores posted johnny on the spot (Dave) but most of us just want to see them within a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Krissy View Post
                I understand, especially for the kids, that they want to see the scores and how they ranked. Personally, I am there before it all starts and still there cleaning up after it ends. So I already know how I ranked.

What I don't understand are the people who have nothing better to do with their life than to bash an archery club for not getting scores up in a "timely manner". Of course those same people don't volunteer to do it themselves. They don't seem to understand that those who do the work are VOLUNTEERS with lives. Those in charge of posting scores also have kids, work, laundry, dinner, family's, etc...

There are some people who work and volunteer...and there are those who sit behind a computer and complain 24 hours per day.

If you're not happy with the way a volunteer organization is run...ask if you can help
                Dang did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Krissy View Post

What is a reasonable time to post scores? Every club is full of volunteers and THEY all know their responsibilities that they were elected to do. If your not up to the task , don't take the position. It is mostly a thankless job .

Comment

Gee...

I guess I was brought up all wrong...when I'm given a job to do, I see it all the way to the end...especially if it's a volunteer job, cause then it's my integrity that's on the line...If I say I'll do a job, then I do it. My take on all this is that the job isn't done till the job is done...I can't believe that someone would take on a job and not see it clear through...if posting the scores on the website is your job, then get 'er done...ASA proved that it can be done within 24 hours of a shoot...I don't see what the problem is here. As for bashing clubs...I don't see where this has happened..asking questions? sure...expressing an opinion? isn't that what this board is all about? bashing...not likely...I think I might have missed your point here...bad day?

Comment

Krissy I appreciate all that the local clubs do so that I can shoot.I don't live close enough to any club to be an effective member so I provide a range on my farm for local shooters to have a place to go.I build arrows and work on bows for the people that shoot, keep score for the shooters and keep the targets up.So for I have not given up work,family,kids or dinner but I did have to give up doing the laundry.

Comment

As Texas ASA State Director's, Mike and I are proud of the way we handle the shoots in Texas and have pretty high standards as to when and how things should be done. The time frame for the scores getting posted was WAY TOO long. We apoligize over and over again. There was some confusion at club level and we are taking measures to see that this doesn't happen in the future. Cari & Mike had everything in place and have worked hard for us to help Texas ASA grow even stronger. Thank you all for your support...we will continue to do our best to keep our qualifiers up to our standards til the scores are posted!! Tracy & Mike Smith

Comment

Coming from a club (TFAA) as a tournament director, you can only post the scores as fast as you receive them and as fast as the webmaster can get them up. In our case some of the scores are not received from the clubs or the Field Govenors in a short period of time and believe it or not still in this day and age not every one has internet to send it via email so they send it in via snail mail. Yes even as a volunteer you are expected to do a job, but it takes everyone on the team to make the play.

Comment

In answer to most people's question...no I wasn't having a bad day until I saw, yet again, several posts by one person "bashing" AAC because of score posting. And No, it is not my job to get the scores posted.
                            For those of you that have never volunteered for an organization such as this you may not realize it but every shoot we get a multitude of people complaining. The course is too easy, the course is too hard, the sausage wraps aren't ready, we don't like that you give medals instead of plaques, you don't have the particular soda I like, etc...it goes on and on every shoot.
                            At the same time, for the last two years at our annual member meeting and officer elections no one has raised their hand to take an officer position. No one wants to handle any of it but everyone wants to complain that it's not being done "their way".
                            When someone complains (especially about the course) they are offerred the opportunity to volunteer to take a job and get it done. The majority of the time they never want the job. They just want to complain.

As for the ASA shoot...I won't go into the details of how/when/why...but it was a combination of things happening that caused us not to get the scores to an ASA individual until late last week. Although it wasn't originally my job to get it done, it fell into my lap at a time when I was out of town and could not get to a fax machine to get it to the right person...which may not have been the right person after all. I will apologize on behalf of the Club for our part in this.

As for our regular monthly shoots...if you've paid attention, the last 3 or 4 months, the scores have been posted (or at least they've been sent to the webmaster) within a week of the shoot. Yet we still hear the complaints that it's not done quick enough.

Oh...and the reason they aren't always done that day is because those of us that volunteer are there an hour or more before the shoot and at least an hour afterwards. Not to mention getting up really early in the morning to get concession stand stuff ready. After spending no less than 12 hours on a Sunday getting Club things done, we like to spend a little time at home relaxing or getting ready for the next week's work.

Comment

In answer to most people's question...no I wasn't having a bad day until I saw, yet again, several posts by one person "bashing" AAC because of score posting. And No, it is not my job to get the scores posted.
                              For those of you that have never volunteered for an organization such as this you may not realize it but every shoot we get a multitude of people complaining. The course is too easy, the course is too hard, the sausage wraps aren't ready, we don't like that you give medals instead of plaques, you don't have the particular soda I like, etc...it goes on and on every shoot.
                              At the same time, for the last two years at our annual member meeting and officer elections no one has raised their hand to take an officer position. No one wants to handle any of it but everyone wants to complain that it's not being done "their way".
                              When someone complains (especially about the course) they are offerred the opportunity to volunteer to take a job and get it done. The majority of the time they never want the job. They just want to complain.

As for the ASA shoot...I won't go into the details of how/when/why...but it was a combination of things happening that caused us not to get the scores to an ASA individual until late last week. Although it wasn't originally my job to get it done, it fell into my lap at a time when I was out of town and could not get to a fax machine to get it to the right person...which may not have been the right person after all. I will apologize on behalf of the Club for our part in this.

As for our regular monthly shoots...if you've paid attention, the last 3 or 4 months, the scores have been posted (or at least they've been sent to the webmaster) within a week of the shoot. Yet we still hear the complaints that it's not done quick enough.

Oh...and the reason they aren't always done that day is because those of us that volunteer are there an hour or more before the shoot and at least an hour afterwards. Not to mention getting up really early in the morning to get concession stand stuff ready. After spending no less than 12 hours on a Sunday getting Club things done, we like to spend a little time at home relaxing or getting ready for the next week's work.

Comment

Working...
                              X