Pizzed off, Frustrated rant therapy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got my first recurve in the Summer of 2021 to spice things up a bit. I killed a nice for my area whitetail on my place the last day of the previous season with my compound and wanted to up the challenge a bit....watching "Alone" perked my interest in hunting with a recurve. So long story short, I bought a Hoyt Satori, arrows, etc. and started diving into rabbit hole that is traditional archery.

Fast Forward two years and 3 bows later, and I'm still not much better than I was when i started. I cannot for the life of me get consistent at 20 yards with a recurve bow. I'm decent enough to take a shot at game at 12-15 yards, but at 18-22 my shyte just falls apart. Some days I'm shooting great, others its like the first time I picked up a bow. Today I broke 4 arrows between 2 bows... that has never happened before. Missing the entire 3d target at 20 yards.

I had dreams of being a successful trad archer but man this is getting frustrating. I have never had an issue with a compound and can hit targets at 80+ yards. With this bow I'm doing good to shoot a fist size group at 15

You just S U C K !! LOL!! J/K . Hope you get it worked out.

Comment

Native American word Vegetarian comes to mind

Comment

It's because you suck and don't deserve to be good with a trad bow.[emoji849]
        Face it, even the best of us struggle. Manybof us know that when we are struggling we dont move back. We move closer. That said, I needed to be able to move back. The reason I went to gap aiming was because of that over 17 yard scatter pattern.
        The reason another locally respected archer is looking at adapting.
        There is a romanticism regarding "instinctive" shooting that draws us. It's great when it works. However for many of us it works best under 20 yards.
        If you want to change what you get you have to change what you do.
        There isn't a thing wrong with hunting with a compound if that is the most effective thing for someone in a given situation. I have and would again if needed.

Being frustrated is no fun. I hear you and feel that every now and then.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          It's because you suck and don't deserve to be good with a trad bow.[emoji849]
          Face it, even the best of us struggle. Manybof us know that when we are struggling we dont move back. We move closer. That said, I needed to be able to move back. The reason I went to gap aiming was because of that over 17 yard scatter pattern.
          The reason another locally respected archer is looking at adapting.
          There is a romanticism regarding "instinctive" shooting that draws us. It's great when it works. However for many of us it works best under 20 yards.
          If you want to change what you get you have to change what you do.
          There isn't a thing wrong with hunting with a compound if that is the most effective thing for someone in a given situation. I have and would again if needed.

Being frustrated is no fun. I hear you and feel that every now and then.

I want to be proficient at 20 yards and a bit behind shooting instinctive. I just cannot get behind 3 under and gap shooting, even though I know it’s effective for some.

What’s odd is I can step off my back porch and sling one into the kill zone at 30 yards on the first shot 8/10 times. But try and shoot a group at 20 it’s terrible.

I don’t mind my effective range being 15 ish yards on whitetail but on bigger game like elk I’ll need to be more effective to 30

Comment

Bigger animals, bigger kill zone.
            I can step out back and drop a shot at 25 yards in the kill zone of my little pig target most of the time. Still take focus on form and release but it's not a maybe like it used to be.
            But I understand. I was against "aiming" as well. But getting my *** handed to me at 3D shoots because long targets were a guess at best and slumps where I missed and wounded animals just wasn't the kind of archer I wanted to be.

But I can also tell you killing two deer in 30 minutes the last weekend of season with my compound didn't do it for me either.

Comment

I’m gonna keep at it, I just needed to bish and moan a little.

And yes, the last few compound kills I had didn’t bring me near as much Satisfaction as they would have if I had killed them with a trad bow

Comment

My 2 cents. I was a NAA Level 1 instructor. Level 5 is the highest.

Find somebody who is a traditional archery instructor and take a few lessons. Trad archery is 95% form (in my opinion) and instructing archery is different from shooting well if that makes sense. Teaching is different than doing.

Contact USA Archery to see who is an instructor in your area, or call a few local archery pro shops.

USA Archery Certified Coaches and instructors are the foundation of any safe archery program, camp or club. Get certified today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That speaks to the old saying those that can't do, teach.[emoji1]
                  Don't tell my wife I said that.[emoji44]

Comment

I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      So I got my first recurve in the Summer of 2021 to spice things up a bit. I killed a nice for my area whitetail on my place the last day of the previous season with my compound and wanted to up the challenge a bit....watching "Alone" perked my interest in hunting with a recurve. So long story short, I bought a Hoyt Satori, arrows, etc. and started diving into rabbit hole that is traditional archery.

Fast Forward two years and 3 bows later, and I'm still not much better than I was when i started. I cannot for the life of me get consistent at 20 yards with a recurve bow. I'm decent enough to take a shot at game at 12-15 yards, but at 18-22 my shyte just falls apart. Some days I'm shooting great, others its like the first time I picked up a bow. Today I broke 4 arrows between 2 bows... that has never happened before. Missing the entire 3d target at 20 yards.

I had dreams of being a successful trad archer but man this is getting frustrating. I have never had an issue with a compound and can hit targets at 80+ yards. With this bow I'm doing good to shoot a fist size group at 15
                      If your frustrated and not having fun, take a week off from shooting, then start again at 10 yards. When your happy with your grouping move back 3 to 5 yards and continue. When your not move forward

Comment

I found out why they call it the “struggle stick”

Make sure your anchor point is fixed. Like a tooth or a mole on your face if you have one.

You will get it. Look up paper cup training on YouTube. Also watch a few of Tom Clum’s videos…back tension is key.

Comment

Get a person who understands traditional bow form to help you. I would almost bet you are not aligned, and probably trying to help the bow, ex. creeping forward, giving up the front side arm, peaking/moving your head to soon to see where the arrow strikes, and the notorious loading of the fingers and plucking the string. Those are just some examples of form flaws and any one can cause a big movement in the arrow flight. I know several people who would be willing to help you just because they love archery and enjoy seeing others successful. Get someone to video your shot. Maybe a few shots. It should be very easy to see where your form is breaking down. Good luck. Don't quit. It is likely something small and easy to fix.

Comment

Try using a sight for a couple of weeks.

Something as simple as a toothpick taped in the right spot on the back or belly of your riser will work just fine.

You might be surprised how well you shoot without it later.

Rick

Comment

Man, all I can say is that I completely understand!!!!!

After years and years of this trad thing being pretty easy for me, I am now struggling so bad I’m hunting with an Oneida Screaming Eagle rigged up like a recurve. Not the same as the longbow, but almost the same.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X