Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I messed up big time!

and now I'm addicted!

I've been wanting to pick up a traditional bow to play around with and do a little hunting once I got the hang of it. Other expenses and responsibilities (and toys) have prevented me from really pursuing this, and I figured once I actually tried it, I'd be hooked.

I was right.

My buddy and I went to Cabelas last night to pick up reloading supplies for my new .308 and get him some more camo (he's a new hunter). Of course, we're like 2 kids in a candy store, and spend most of the evening there. We were almost ready to head to the check-out when we both realize we hadn't even gone to the archery section!

We head over there, and I see the small area of traditional bows, and lo and behold! there's a left-handed recurve on the rack! It was a PSE Mustang with a 50# draw - really pretty bow. I start looking at it and the salesman offers to string it up for me to let me shoot it. I agree and we head to the range.

Now, I've shot compound consistently for about 8 years. I'm used to peeps and sights and let-off. I have shot my dad's right-handed recurve a couple of times, and did ok with "instinctive" shooting, but I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing.

At the Cabelas range, I fumble around to get an arrow nocked and drawn, with a little coaching from the salesman. I'm set up at 12 yards, I draw as far back as I can, find the spot on the target I'd like to hit, and release, hoping I at least hit the target. The arrow zipped down and buried itself right at the spot I was aiming!

No way! Must have been luck. I need to think about my next shot. I draw back, and then pause, trying to figure out how I aimed. I released, and POW! The arrow had flown left about a foot from my intended spot and found the 1" gap between the targets and lodged into the back wall. Oops. Salesman wasn't too happy with that. Sorry, Dave.

I kept at it and found if I concentrated on a spot as I was drawing and released quickly, I'd hit pretty close, but as soon as I stopped to think about what I was doing, the arrow would fly off. Now, I wasn't grouping well by any stretch of the term, but the arrows that felt "right" when I released, hit pretty close to where I wanted them to.

I ended up shooting 20-25 times. I was using a release tab, and was trying different grips to see how that worked. I shot every arrow with 3 fingers below and that seemed to work well for me. The salesman complimented on my shooting and I was pleased with my first attempt.

Now I wish I hadn't tried it. It was so FUN! What a completely different feeling from wheel-bow shooting! I very much want my own traditional now. Unfortunately, between Christmas gifts, my new rifle and ammo set-up, my beer brewing, not to mention my upcoming hunts, I'm just going to have to suck it up and WAIT.

There's an easy fix to your problem. Go cut down a tree and build yourself one.
    Or------you could go over the Deb & Arvins and -----
    Oh, never mind

Comment

Na you can get an excelent started used bow for next to nothing on places like Leatherwall and TradGang.

Comment

I meant to give kudos to the salesman who let me shoot, Dave Mayfield. I'm not sure if he's a member here, but super-nice guy. Very patient and just an all around good guy to talk hunting with. If you're on this forum, Thanks Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by CHRISM View Post
          Na you can get an excelent started used bow for next to nothing on places like Leatherwall and TradGang.
          Oh, I know that's how it starts. Then I need new arrows, then a better target, then....

It's best I wait a while, but I will definitely be joining y'alls ranks more sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            There's an easy fix to your problem. Go cut down a tree and build yourself one.
            Or------you could go over the Deb & Arvins and -----
            Oh, never mind
            Yep

Comment

It is an addiction that is more insedious than herion. Come on in when you are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                It is an addiction that is more insedious than herion. Come on in when you are ready.
                Bob, you are high on my list of "what's next" in this venture. I can't wait to meet you and take a look at your bows. Maybe even shoot one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                  And I can bet you'll be talking to Bob before long!! BTW, have your checkbook ready when you do.

I started in March, and have already gotten a little collection of 4 bows. 3 of which are Bob's, and got my dad into it (with another of Bob's bows). Selling one now (the only one that's not one of Bob's). . . .

BTW, Bob, you have a PM

Comment

When you have enough of Bob's bows you will need a couple of selfbows so we'll see ya then.

Comment

Working...
                    X