thompson center pro-hunter opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thompson center pro-hunter opinions?

Looking for opinions on the TC PRO-HUNTER. I have wanted one to be able maybe take on some hunts in states that have weird restrictions like single shot, straight walled calibers or muzzleloader. Seems pretty versatile but was looking at some reviews online and the accuracy can be hit or miss. Are they worth messing with or be better off going a diff route?

I've owned one for 15+ years and have zero complaints. Very versatile as you can swap calibers and barrel lengths without issue. Accuracy is going to depend on the loads and your particular barrel. There are alot of aftermarket barrel makers out there as well that sell top notch stuff. I currently have my Pro Hunter set up with a 308 barrel cut and threaded at 16.1" with a can on it. It's a cool blind gun out to 200 easy without any adjustment. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

Comment

Well first of all, it might be pretty hard to buy a new one. TC has been out of business for a couple of years now. It is my understanding tho that someone has just purchased TC from Smith & Wesson and intends to start the company back up at some point. In the meantime SSK Firearms is now making frames similar to the Contender and supposedly has plans for an Encore style frame. So at this point, the most likely way to get an Encore is to buy it used. While there are some after market parts (mainly barrels and stocks) original factor parts are hard to come by.

In terms of accuracy/precision, the Encores do not compare to good bolt actions, even with custom barrels, although they are usually suitable for most hunting applications. To improve the accuracy, a trigger job is usually necessary and the forearm really needs to be floated from the barrel (except at the screw attachment points) and pillar bedded.

Comment

Never had a Pro Hunter, but I’ve had a couple of regular Encore’s. I had a 24” .308 barrel that was about 1MOA or a little less with handloads. The coolest barrel was a 15” 7-08… that thing was a shooter, even if it was too big to really carry as a pistol.

I’m not real recoil shy, but something about the encore made it brutal. I had a walnut stock and a thumb hole stock, and even in 308 or 30-06, the rifle barrels were rough on the shoulder.

I had a 45-70 rifle barrel and decided to put some Ruger loads in it. I shot it once, took the ammo home, pulled the bullets and went to a more reasonable charge weight.

They’re neat guns, and I consider buying another from time to time. For the use you mentioned, I think it would be a good option.

Comment

I have one. Dad has one. 223, 25.06 and .50. They all shoot

Comment

Thanks for the input. I found a pro Hunter stainless 30/06 locally for decent price. I can have it threaded I’ve got couple cans I can throw on it

Comment

I have barrels in 7mag, 7mm/08, 209x50 and a 15" 25/06 pistol barrel for sale....I'll make a deal to move them.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                I have barrels in 7mag, 7mm/08, 209x50 and a 15" 25/06 pistol barrel for sale....I'll make a deal to move them.
                Sent ya a pm

Comment

Never shot the rifle version but the pistols have excellent accuracy and will hold their own with against rifle.

Comment

Gregg Ritz is starting them
                    back up again

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                      Gregg Ritz is starting them
                      back up again
                      I wonder how long it will be before he gets cranked up and producing. Although at least 2 major companies are still turning out replacement rifle barrels, after market stock makers have all but quit producing stocks sets - presumably because frames have not been made for last couple years.

Comment

I have shot about 15 or so Axis. All using a Encore Prohunter in 25-06 with a Bull barrel. It is a super accurate caliber and gun. I had the trigger worked by Haus Of Arms and a oversized hinge pin installed. I love the gun and versatility of it. I have 16" threaded 300BO barrel by MGM, a cut and threaded 223 bbl, a 209x50 Muzzleloader bbl and a new Bergara bbl in 30-06 which I have yet to install. I love the way it handles,points and shoots. I think the only difference in Pro Hunter and standard Encores is the barrel length and swing hammer.
                        My cousin cross the road has about 4 Encores he is looking to sell. I know he has these calibers. 223(cut n threaded) 16", 7mm rem mag, 204 Ruger and 308 calibers in both blue and stainless if you are interested. One left hand fancy wood thumbhole stock. Last gun show we did, he was asking $900 for blue with a barrel of your choice and $1000 for the stainless model. We are in the Harper/Kerrville/Fredricksburg area. PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                          I have shot about 15 or so Axis. All using a Encore Prohunter in 25-06 with a Bull barrel. It is a super accurate caliber and gun. I had the trigger worked by Haus Of Arms and a oversized hinge pin installed. I love the gun and versatility of it. I have 16" threaded 300BO barrel by MGM, a cut and threaded 223 bbl, a 209x50 Muzzleloader bbl and a new Bergara bbl in 30-06 which I have yet to install. I love the way it handles,points and shoots. I think the only difference in Pro Hunter and standard Encores is the barrel length and swing hammer.
                          My cousin cross the road has about 4 Encores he is looking to sell. I know he has these calibers. 223(cut n threaded) 16", 7mm rem mag, 204 Ruger and 308 calibers in both blue and stainless if you are interested. One left hand fancy wood thumbhole stock. Last gun show we did, he was asking $900 for blue with a barrel of your choice and $1000 for the stainless model. We are in the Harper/Kerrville/Fredricksburg area. PM if interested.
                          Pm sent.
                          Thanks for all the input Picked the gun up today.

Comment

Comment

Very nice! The other difference from the original Encore is that the pro-hunters come with the flex tech stock like yours. Let us know how it shoots.

Comment

Working...
                              X