Transformation of a Rufous Hummingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transformation of a Rufous Hummingbird

I have had Rufous hummingbirds over winter months for several years now in both Brazos and now in Colorado Counties. I had a rare treat this season and I believe it started in February. The bird in February hadn't begun to molt yet but the pattern on its gorget (shiny bib on males) looks the same on the molting bird as far as I could tell. This thread is to show the progression. They are in order from February to the day before yesterday.

EDIT to add: I believe this bird has actually been here since early January after going back and looking at more shots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_2-28-24-26-X2.jpg Views:	13 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	26763896

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20Hummingbird_A1_3-17-2024-14-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	26763897

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20Hummingbird_A1_3-17-2024-7-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	26763898

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_3-27-24-12-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	26763899

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_3-27-24-79-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	26763900

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_3-30-24-1-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	26763901

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_3-30-24-14-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	26763902

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_4-6-24-26-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	26763903

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_4-7-24-149-Enhanced-NR-X2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	26763904

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rufous%20hummingbird_A1_4-8-24-12-Enhanced-NR-X2.jpg Views:	13 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	26763905
    Last edited by Bill M; 04-09-2024, 01:37 PM.

This is the link to my 2024 Hummingbird gallery for anyone interested.

Comment

Their coloration is awesome. Thanks for posting the pics.

Comment

They are something to look at. Thanks for taking time to look.

Comment

Absolutely great captures and collection as always Bill!! Glad to see you back posting, was about to worry about you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
            Absolutely great captures and collection as always Bill!! Glad to see you back posting, was about to worry about you!!!!
            Thanks for the comment. I'm fine, just not as interested in many of the subjects discussed the older I get. I don't "banter" anymore much.

Comment

that's really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post

Thanks for the comment. I'm fine, just not as interested in many of the subjects discussed the older I get. I don't "banter" anymore much.
                I hear ya! Glad you are well, just keep the photos coming both here and on FB!!!

Comment

Pretty neat!

Comment

It has been a nice bit of luck to have a first-year bird stopover for the winter since they only do the transition once. They breed from the US Pacific Northwest and up through Canada into Southeastern Alaska, as far as 61 deg N. They winter primarily in southern Mexico. In proportion to body size, they make the longest migration of any bird.​

Comment

Great pictures, there!

Comment

Awesome as always. He looks ready for the ladies!

I've got a few of your pics on my mom's wall. She loves them.

Comment

Originally posted by bfree View Post
                          Great pictures, there!
                          Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          Awesome as always. He looks ready for the ladies!

I've got a few of your pics on my mom's wall. She loves them.
                          Thanks! I'm glad your mom is enjoying the photos.

Comment

great pictures

Comment

Working...
                            X