Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance this evening

TBH Maintenance this evening.
TBH might experience interruptions this evening while undergoing maintenance.
See more
See less

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharkhunter, where is she at in New Waverly? Kids and I can go take a look this weekend as I will be there already.

Comment

New guy to the trapping world when it comes to coyotes. A few questions:

1. Basic, but how do you identify where to set the trap?
      2. How do you prevent deer from getting caught (high density area)
      3. Bait recommendations?

East Texas, Tyler area on the Sabine River. 2500 acres of bottomland and 500 acres of upland.

My only experience is with snares on digs on the high fence. I would appreciate any links to info that a beginner could start getting his feet wet.

I personally saw 2 coyotes take down an adult doe last year and our fawning success was sub 10%
      Last edited by Sippy; 12-30-2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post

3. Bait recommendations?

East Texas, Tyler area on the Sabine River. 2500 acres of bottomland and 500 acres of upland.

My only experience is with snares on digs on the high fence. I would appreciate any links to info that a beginner could start getting his feet wet.

I personally saw 2 coyotes take down an adult doe last year and our fawning success was sub 10%
        You can start here

Most of my browsing time is between TBH and Trapperman
        I am no expert but the key is sign
        tracks, scat, trail cam pics too
        I have 5 0r 6 DVDs I would loan you as well
        I am no expert, just try and keep them thinned on my place

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post

3. Bait recommendations?

Flat sets and dirt hole sets with cravens or mark June’s lures. Any cow trail you see fresh tracks on put a set or two in. Mb 550’s four coils offset jaws are pretty good. I love trapping coyotes, just wish I had more time to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
            Sharkhunter, where is she at in New Waverly? Kids and I can go take a look this weekend as I will be there already.
            On the weekend she is at the flea market on fm 105
            Olde Security Square Flea Market
            . I think she said row G. She’s outside not in the building.

During the week she’s at the corner Gibbs st and 75 in New Waverley. Not sure it’s every day as she’s 80 and some days she just doesn’t make it but definitely at the flea market on the weekends.

Comment

Water water everywhere lol ! Picked up a nice size male #12 on a crawl under. On another part of the property I have one I’m playing cat and mouse with. Just missed him
              Last night!! I put in a deer leg set on his travel route. I drove about 20 miles of roads today on the ATV and only saw the one set of tracks so I’m making a dent for sure.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-30-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Sharkhunter you are hammering them! The last few on a property are fun, they’ll show you what your made of.

Comment

Well sometimes they are fun, until they aren’t anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                    Sharkhunter you are hammering them! The last few on a property are fun, they’ll show you what your made of.
                    Thanks ! I’m pulling out every trick I know to get these last older dogs. The one by the big lake on the house side is a smart one. I think it’s the mate to the last big male I caught there. Shes starting to get careless though.
                    Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-30-2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I rest my traps on the 60 acres and caught another the first night
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	4A265DFD-3363-463C-A8D2-2784A875D91D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	24701685

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        I rest my traps on the 60 acres and caught another the first night
                        [ATTACH]1114328[/ATTACH]
                        Way to go Buff !

Comment

Sippy,
                          1. Find coyote track going both directions in a trail, and look for droppings. They don't just poop, they are marking territory or at least, communicating.
                          2. Deer snaps and hog snaps happen. Try to identify the coyotes" preferred routes.
                          3. For baits I like Mark June's Widowmaker, Locklear's Federales and his Coyote Claymore I & II.

Comment

Sippy,
                            Follow this thread. This guy is a killer. The thread is just starting.
                            Originally Posted by BTLowryLots to see in Texas Palo Duro Big Bend Enchanted Rock See what you can Have seen 2 out of those 3. Just got 3 rd coyote of the day. Wind must be 45 mph

Comment

I caught a yote and a varmint yesterday. The coyotes ate the varmint.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

Had some beavers move into a pond at my house and caught this kit last night. First double back foot catch. Using the appendages as bait for the coyotes that have zeroed in on my ewes.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X