Professional deer/habitat management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional deer/habitat management

I'm an older guy & it seems like a long time ago everything was geared towards herd management more so than habitat management. Now days there are so many people offering how to setup your land (especially smaller tracts) for hunting. A lot of focus on where to create bedding areas, sanctuaries, creating new travel corridors, screening cover around food plots, etc.

Just wondering, has anybody paid to have something like this done on your property? If so, has it improved your hunting?

Not paid for, but I do it myself. I plant food plots both spring and fall, make trails and deer take them over, I don’t go in my woods except to do the aforementioned, and I thinned the over story to let more sunlight get to the ground. It ain’t rocket science, you can get lots of info from YouTube or reading about it on forums just like this one.

Comment

We have not paid but have signed up for assistance thru the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries private landowner programs as well as National Wild Turkey Federation and Quail Forever local chapters. They would come and survey the property and offer advice. We did this a few times when doing habitat remediation after timber harvest. They didn't charge for the recommendations and even provided options on contractors they had experience with in the region.

Comment

I switched my focus to 100% habitat a few years ago. Herd management on small property is a joke. It made no difference what I did because when they got 3.5 and 110” no neighbor within 4 miles of me could pass them. I focused on bedding and sanctuary areas. They will eat in the dark and I don’t care if my neighbors feed them in the dark…. Cause they dang sure ain’t helping with the protein bill. Lol

setting up a small property is TOUGH, and sometimes not even possible to do a great job at. Have fun and do the best you can. Control what you can and accept the things you can’t. Access to stands in small properties ruin almost every single one of them. Going hunting “cause it’s hunting season” on small properties will burn it out before you get in the tree for the first time.

focus scouting on bedding NOT FOOD. Try and create bedding that allows you to get into stand undetected with one specific wind. Deer are a glorified goat. They will eat anything and if they want corn…. I have no less than 200 corn feeders in season within. 1 mile radius…. Hunt ing the edge of bedding areas has been the biggest uptake in my “success”

I believe “sippy” (Micheal) on here could help you if designing a place interest you!

good luck this season

Comment

When we bought our new place the first thing we did is tell the cattle guy we were not going to keep leasing out the grass ( 100 head of cattle ), we identified the best bedding areas and set free choice protein feeders up spaced out across the ranch, we searched out the best areas for corn feeders and stands, also food plots, we have water all around the ranch, if ponds go dry we do have 4 wells with windmills. So far it has been exciting setting the ranch up like we want it, not sure if we will be able to keep feeding protein year round, they are about to break us lol. Wish we had more spring / summer rains, we have several areas we could plant summer crops to help cut down on the protein. We will only take mature bucks and management bucks, will take as many does as needed to keep the herd balanced, excited to see if we can grow some really nice bucks, have several that are looking good on cameras, we do have some good neighbors too, they are not feeding to the extent that we are but they are all about letting the bucks get old.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I switched my focus to 100% habitat a few years ago. Herd management on small property is a joke. It made no difference what I did because when they got 3.5 and 110” no neighbor within 4 miles of me could pass them. I focused on bedding and sanctuary areas. They will eat in the dark and I don’t care if my neighbors feed them in the dark…. Cause they dang sure ain’t helping with the protein bill. Lol

setting up a small property is TOUGH, and sometimes not even possible to do a great job at. Have fun and do the best you can. Control what you can and accept the things you can’t. Access to stands in small properties ruin almost every single one of them. Going hunting “cause it’s hunting season” on small properties will burn it out before you get in the tree for the first time.

focus scouting on bedding NOT FOOD. Try and create bedding that allows you to get into stand undetected with one specific wind. Deer are a glorified goat. They will eat anything and if they want corn…. I have no less than 200 corn feeders in season within. 1 mile radius…. Hunt ing the edge of bedding areas has been the biggest uptake in my “success”

I believe “sippy” (Micheal) on here could help you if designing a place interest you!

good luck this season
            ^^^this..
            You cannot control neighbors are deer will travel.

Comment

Working...
            X