Anyone keeping up with Nvidia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone keeping up with Nvidia?

Pretty amazing story so far. Set all kinds of stock market records. In 14 years it's up from 30 cents to $132.00 (it was .04 in 1999). That's a lot of percent! Stock is valued over 3 Trillion now.
    I never looked hard but am curious why other chip companies don't compete more. If those chips are worth THAT much why would all the other semiconductor companies be expanding to compete?

Pretty insane how much weight this one stock has in our stock market. Also the top 7 listed companies have 50% of Americas GDP.

Also - I've been seeing a few videos like the link below over the last month or so. Makes things seem fishy but could be people looking too hard maybe?
    A nonprofit group founded by crypto billionaire Jed McCaleb just bought a half a billion dollars worth of Nvidia H100 GPUs and like everything else associate...

Other thoughts on this company?

Yep, seen it and can't believe it

Comment

Been an Nvidia fan for years. Stock and products 👍
      Last edited by dbaio1; 06-15-2024, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, they have been in the graphics business a long time. They are the reason a boring S&P500 Index investor like me is up this year. Their valuation is crazy high, and I am sure a ton of their employees are now multi millionaires from their stock RSUs. I imagine spin offs and start ups will result.

Comment

I just bought some so get ready for it to drop, which is what usually happens when I buy individual company stock.

Comment

Love the stock up 200% in the past year, own a decent amount before split held onto it and trades well. Valuations are overrated and overanalyzed imo..follow the trend cos trend is your friend.

Comment

It's always been overvalued, PE is currently 77, so I've had a difficult time buying into it.

But it just keeps going up so it might be worth the gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                I never looked hard but am curious why other chip companies don't compete more. If those chips are worth THAT much why would all the other semiconductor companies be expanding to compete?

Other thoughts on this company?
                Ask Intel how easy it is to design and build graphic chips. The guy they brought over from AMD left and the last time I checked its not going well for them on the graphics side of the house. There is a reason why there are really only two x86 and graphics guys around. They need each other or there would be monopolies. But they don't want more then two. It's not cheap to design or manufacture semis. Especially when you get to the cutting edge stuff on very low nanometer. Plus, the x86 and GFX chips go into mission critical backends for businesses. Before AMD turned the corner under Lisa, the old saying from business IT buyers was "They will never fire me for buying Intel" Startups or even established companies dipping their two into either of these two technologies have to go through years of testing to actually get someone to buy their product. And that's after years of design and inhouse testing.

What is driving NVidia's growth (IMO) is the GFX chip is the best thing out there currently to drive the workloads needed for AI. We will see new chip designs from the "Big Three" - Intel, AMD, Nvidia that will target AI workloads that are not GFX chips, but a derivative of them. What will be interesting is if companies such as https://tenstorrent.com/ will come in and take over the AI space. What Tenstorrent has going for it as a "start up" is Jim Heller.

Comment

Bought some after the 10:1 split. Up a little bit. Hopefully it keeps going up

Comment

Bubble.

Comment

Bought 100 shares at $88 because my Dad talked me into it. Dad bout 2500 shares and he has since passed away but my Mom still holds it

as far as “bubble”. Who knows- People
                      were saying the same thing about Apple about 2015. I bought about 80 shares then and it has split twice and I still hold it and seems to have been a decent investment
                      Last edited by glen; 06-16-2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

It has been great for me. I bought in 2022 and it has been a great ride. I have sold some recently just because it has gotten to be a significant portion of my IRA, since it had such tremendous growth. I have been fortunate to have bought it when I did. I also bought Netflix back when they did the CDs to your mailbox. lol.

Like they say, a blind hog finds an acorn once in while.

Comment

It’s closed at about $131 today or before the split $1300 a share. At the split it was $120 or $1200. That is an incredible run after a 10/1 split. Historically stocks pull back. My kid said it’s because video games - who knows

Comment

I'm retired and worked in the Silicon Valley for 27 years. We did a startup company in 2005 that the angel investment (seed money) came from a VP at Nvidia. The company lost funding in 2008 when the market crashed.

Why?

- Their graphics technology was extendable to the class of chips required for all the AI processing going on in data centers today.
                            - Their design teams were the best, and when you're the best you're able to attract more of the best designers. Having stock options that can make somebody wealthy in 4 years will pull them from other semiconductor companies.
                            - WIth their volume of graphics chips, they became a Tier 1 customer of TSMC in Taiwan and not only have access to their leading edge processes, (smaller transisitors, more densiity of transistors on a device, lower power) they work with TSMC, the Design Automation companies (Synopsys, Cadence, for 2) and are so far ahead of others.

Comment

SMCI is another to watch

Comment

Working...
                              X