Texas Water Safari 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
    Reading this thread, I’m going to have to pop a cold one and raise a pinky in remembrance of our brother, Concho Man! RIP, brother…
    I’ll join you!!!

Comment

Well, a week later, but the 2024 TWS is a wrap. It was a fun race and the finishing rate was up substantially this year. It was still considered a low water year, but better than the past two, and the bay was as close to glass as we could have asked for. in 2022 the bay was horrific, and 2023 it wasn't a whole lot better. This year we were able to cross it without a spray skirt and didn't take a drop of water in the boat. That's saying something as we sit close to the water. The major pain point for nearly all racers was the 61 miles from Gonzales to Cheapside. The first 37 miles to the Hochheim checkpoint had catastrophically low water due to the Gonzales dam not releasing water along with Canyon lake not releasing what they typically do as well. This resulted in a river flow of under 80 CFS, when a standard volume would be anywhere from 350-1000 for that section. For that 37 mile run we had budgeted 7.5 hours, and it ended up taking us 11+. We fell a bit behind on nutrition at that point, but were able to get some potion at the bridge before continuing on a similar slog to Hochheim. Beyond that, we just had the normal safari stuff to deal with. The cuts were a bit worse than normal this year, but we made it through them in about 90 minutes, about an hour longer than I would have guessed. As always, a lot of the same through the whole race.

The Brad Ellis Spirt Award was a great story this year. I met one of the fellas on the way home when we were eating BBQ in Lockhart and heard the story in great detail. They were in a 3 man boat and came up on a 2 man with a husband and wife. The husband was in bad shape and they were about 5 miles from Swinging Bridge (mile 231). They were asked to keep pace with the boat to keep an eye on him, and he couldn't continue paddling. They pulled over, got him in the three man, and had one of the three man paddlers jump in the two man to haul arse to the checkpoint. They made it there and the fella was able to get an IV and ultimately turned out to be OK. They were not able to finish the race, but the team who helped had a strong finish in the mid 60s. One of the great things about the race is everyone's willingness to help no matter the situation, and this was an example of that. I was not able to shake Mertzon Man 's hand at the banquet as I was falling asleep in my chair. Next time!

We were in the boat 67+ hours, the bank/checkpoints 3, and slept for 2. It was a good race, but we should have finished in the mid 60s. That's for next year!

Here we are at mile 187, Nursery bridge getting a snack and cooling off:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	367.1 KB ID:	26818091
      30 minute nap in Victoria before the 31 miles to Swinging Bridge. This stretch had a gnarly logjam that required hauling the boat up a ~15' bluff:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	149.0 KB ID:	26818092
      Heading out for the bay:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	358.4 KB ID:	26818093
      Sweet success at the finish with our captains:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	489.5 KB ID:	26818094
      My third patch:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	274.3 KB ID:	26818095

Appreciate the support and thanks for following along!

Until next year,
      MZ
      Boat 8588​​​​
      Last edited by mzurovec; 06-17-2024, 01:11 PM.

Comment

A girl at my gym finished top 5 I believe as an all girl team. She came and worked out the next day. You guys are a different level of Strong - mentally and physically.

Congrats !

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
          A girl at my gym finished top 5 I believe as an all girl team. She came and worked out the next day. You guys are a different level of Strong - mentally and physically.

Congrats !
          She must have been on the Limestone Cowgirls. Those chicks are extremely high level as evidenced by their finish, but a handful of them are always on a team each year and always crack the top 10 at a minimum. They've got it figured out in all regards.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Congrats !
            The Limestone Cowgirls were 6th or after. My sisters team was 4th, then the Yonley father/son was 5th just 2 min or so behind my sister.
            Watching the tracker during the race, they did give my sister’s team a run for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
              The Limestone Cowgirls were 6th or after. My sisters team was 4th, then the Yonley father/son was 5th just 2 min or so behind my sister.
              Watching the tracker during the race, they did give my sister’s team a run for their money.
              It must have been 6th. She said she has done the race 5 or 6 times and knows Concho Man. I believe she’s good friends with Brad sister.

Comment

Those girls had a good race for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X