Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket. How much stink is too much stink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you folks never heard of aged beef? I “wet aged” a brisket a full 30 days past the sell by date. It was pungent when I tore open the cryobag, but trimmed off the fat and any slimy parts and ir was by far the best brisket I’ve ever smoked. My family still talks about THAT brisket despite all the others I have cooked before or since.

Google wet aging

Comment

I’m not eating any meat that smells funky

Comment

5/23 frozen the whole time and thawed properly? Non-issue. Cook it and enjoy. A year in the freezer is nothing. I used to buy 8-10 at a time on sale and freeze them . They'd last me most of the year and longer.

People age beef in a regular fridge 30-40 days. Red meat/beef is extremely durable.
        Last edited by Smart; 05-24-2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

If it don't pass the smell test, don't eat it. That goes for EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post

Whats the maximum time acceptable for roadkill

🤣😂🤣😂
            Its probably different for every family, but our rule of thumb is if the legs are still touching each other its still good.

Comment

if the juice in the bag taste bad i wouldn't cook it.😉

J.K., i would get a different one. Gut bugs ain't fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                Beef that comes out of a Cryovac bag has an odor to it. It has been happening since they started vacuum sealing meat in plastic bags. It has to air out a bit, then it smells fine. I had a meat salesman tell me about this probably twenty to twenty five years ago. I don't remember what brought the subject up, but he was talking about an old German gal, Margaret Heinen, who owned Western Sky Steak house in San Angelo. He was the meat salesman and she was the customer and was trying to tell him that they were selling her spoiled meat.

Is it bad that I thought this was going a different direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Have you folks never heard of aged beef? I “wet aged” a brisket a full 30 days past the sell by date. It was pungent when I tore open the cryobag, but trimmed off the fat and any slimy parts and ir was by far the best brisket I’ve ever smoked. My family still talks about THAT brisket despite all the others I have cooked before or since.

Google wet aging
                  You can still go too far though. It`s good one day and then it crosses the line into smelling like a s s.

Comment

I NEVER take a chance on bad food - ate bad liver many years back and trust me food poisoning if no fun

Comment

I've never froze a brisket so there's that. Lol

Comment

When I was young I did eat one that I wouldn't now

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                          When I was young I did eat one that I wouldn't now
                          Have flashbacks every time you walk into a bait shop?

Comment

Aaaand we’re off!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              If it don't pass the smell test, don't eat it. That goes for EVERYTHING
                              🤔

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post

You can still go too far though. It`s good one day and then it crosses the line into smelling like a s s.
                                Well of course, but some of these hanyaks stating they wouldn’t eat anything that “stinks” would gladly pay $50+ for a ribeye at a red that I guarantee was a wee bit ripe before it was trimmed up

Comment

Working...
                                X